Map Rotation Gone Crazazy

turnbullTeRRoR

Is there a method to the madness of the GC servers rotation?

This is how last night went from about 6/7 ish to 12

Aztec, Nuke, Office, Dust, Mill, (Aztec admin change to Dust2), Mirage, Italy, Dust, Mill, Inferno, (forgot map// admin changed to Season per my request), Dust 2, and Italy

Its a little wack never played train and may not have hit season with out admin intervention. Is this a problem or just one of those things that is what it is?

PS I know its not usually a problem because we have so many active Admins, but there are stretches when there are none on and we double up maps within 4/5 of each other and its plain ol frustrat'n

PPS (I will apply for admin as soon as my 30 are up I guess pending approval)

The boys have probably put the default map rotation to something of a power rotation that will bring people in. We've dealt with this for over a decade now, many great maps just aren't viewed as such....that's where admins come in, actively using their powers to keep a server running while trying to not make it monotonous. Your general pubber probably looks for the map that he has memorized so as to give himself the best chance of a good score, regardless of how many times they've said "LONG A!!!!"

Sounds like you're a guy that should most definitely have Saturday Night Customs (you guys still doing this?) on his schedule!

To admins: Can a server full of non-admins invoke a map vote at this point in time?

GC Alumni
(edited)

The current mapcycle list:

de_aztec

de_dust

de_nuke_ve_fix

cs_office

de_train

de_season_go

cs_italy

de_mill_b1

de_dust2

de_inferno

de_mirage_go

That's eleven (11) maps. It's set to random, so, yes, some maps will be played more often and some less often.

Assuming your list is accurate, it looks like Mani used nine (9) different maps in the thirteen (13) games it selected maps for, failing to use only two maps in the mapcycle (Train, Season). Some maps were used twice, but none were used three times. That seems good.

P.S.

The server is set up in this way to make the automatic selections work better with/after admin action.

If the server ran a straight cycle, any time an admin deviated from the cycle, it would result in parts of the cycle being repeated while other parts were skipped (once admins stopped setting the maps).

If the server continued/resumed the cycle where it was last left off, this may also result in repeated maps, as the map being chosen manually might be the second or third future map in the cycle. At times, this actually causes maps to be repeated consecutively.

If the server required the whole cycle to be used before repeating any randomly-chosen maps, the server would be likely to choose a map again immediately after an admin decided to skip it (about 50/50).

Edited by mookie

For l4d2, we added a custom feature where it randomly selects the nextmap, but will not select any of the last 5 maps to have been played. I think this has worked pretty well to vary things without being monotonous.

GC Alumni
(edited)

Over all the Experience on the server is just fine. Most of your non regular pubbers are in and out after about 2-3 maps I just played for a long stretch last night and It irked me that I had to play a few maps 2 times before season or inferno. Just hit a perfect storm of doubling up maps(with in 4-5 of each other) with out a admin on at those times. Though there were admins on before and after Thanks UC and LWC for getting me out of AZtec and whatever the othern was 2 times in a row :)

Edited by turnbullTeRRoR