Overclocking

(edited)

I recently picked up an amd 2200+ and it shows 1.8Mhz I was wodering how I would properly overclock to maybe a 2.0 or a bit higher? Also what would I need as in fan support if any>?

ps: Total newb when it comes to overclock.

Edited by whiplash

Well, depending on your ram, you might not want to overclock. Typically, to overclock, one just increase the Front Side Bus (FSB) in the Bios. This not only OCs your CPU, it also OC's your RAM (it also technically OC's your AGP and PCI buses as well but most newer mobos have settings that allow you to lock the AGP and PCI at 66MHz and 33MHz respectively). This might be fine for small increments but, esp. if you got lower quality ram, your system could quickly become unstable.

For me, my mobo takes PC2700 ram but I got PC3500 so OCing by the FSB is shouldn't be a problem for my RAM. I OC'ed my FSB from 133 to 140 and went from a 1.53GHz to a 1.63GHz. I have ran it like this (and gamed wit it like this) all day and it has been very stable and the CPU temp has not really increased any so I plan to increase the FSB again tomorrow and see if it continues to be stable. If it doesn't, I will put it back down.

Another method of OC'ing is by increasing the CPU multiplier in your BIOS. This is a more complicated method because before you can do it, you have to "unlock" your CPU. Now, you can go into your bios and possibly change the CPU multiplier, but unless your CPU is unlocked, it doesn't really do anything. As far as I know right now, no method for unlocking a P4 has been developed. For the Athlon XP's (excluding the 2100+), you need to use some conductive silicon paint to "jump" or short the L1 cache (I believe it is the L1...it is one of the L's :D ). Once it is unlocked, incrementing the CPU multiplier will allow you to OC only the CPU and not your RAM.

Remember, the best method is to slowly increment the settings (FSB or multiplier). Bump it up one and then run it like that for a good amount of time. If it is stable, bump it up another. Keep doing this until your CPU becomes too hot or your system becomes unstable (locking up, rebooting, acting strange) then decrease the settings back to the last reliable configuration.

I'll try an find some good OC links tomorrow...too tired to really think right now.

wow deez, thanks thats pretty helpful. Here are my pc specs, my mobo is the MSI k7n2-L and I have a stick of samsung 512mb of 333 pc2700 ram. I have my FSB currently set at at 133 like it recommends..