Question for all u smart Comp. People

TeK

Hi.

Does anyone around here know of a router I can buy JUST to share my cable connection. I have the linksys but I have to open ports and all that garbage and don't want to be dealt with it. I just want to be able to plug my cable into one port and have 1 cable going to each of my laptop and PC. I have a firewall already in Zonealarm Pro.

Somebody plz tell me they make such a thing.

TeK

I don't wanna read the manual. I had a friend who was gunna help me but I didn't care ne more. My firewall works fine.

I just need a router to share my connection ;_;

Step by Step

1. Get any router

2. Plug main computer into DMZ port

3. Plug other computers into any other port

The computer on the DMZ port will have all external ports open

The other computers on other computers will have an going out ports open but all coming in closed.

If you want to have the same incoming ports on 2 computers open, you need a second IP.

Port Forwarding for those that refuse to RTFM for the Linksys routers:

1. Open IE, type in http://192.168.1.1, leave User Name blank, put in 'admin' under Password.

2. Click on the Status tab, then DHCP Clients Table, note which computers have which IP address.

3. Click on the Advanced tab, then the Forwarding tab.

4. Check the readme, FAQ, or RTFM for your application. Say it wants port 1234, and the computer you wanted it forwarded to is 192.168.1.101

then,

Under Service Port Range put in 1234 in both slots, leave it on Both (unless it tells you TCP or UDP), and put in 101 in the IP Address slot.

5. Hit 'Apply'. You're done.

This could hardly be simpler to learn and using your firewall behind the Linksys box seems silly. You're using up CPU horsepower to run ZA.