mIRC Help...

Raven

If you are behind a Linksys router (or similar brand) then you ARE behind a firewall. It is built into the router. You will need to go to the router admin web interface and forward the appropriate ports to your computers LAN IP Address.

IRC really needs a few ports. It might be good for you to go through the "File"-->"Options" and browse through looking for port assignments and purposes. I personally do not forward my 113 port to my desktop and have never had a problem with mIRC. This is for the Ident server that you can run from your computer but it isn't necessary for all IRC networks.

The ports I forward from my router (or if you were using a software firewall, the ports you would allow in) are 6667 (both UDP and TCP since I am not sure which it uses) for the Default Port (in the mIRC Options under "Connect"-->"Options") and 4870-4899 (both UDP and TCP) for the range used for DCC transfers (in mIRC Options under "DCC"-->"Options"-->"DCC Ports: First + Last".

Edited by dwEEziL

Well...It is only trying under the 6667 port and I keep getting that error...could it be my college ResNet service that I need to figure out to connect. I don't know if that router based, but its split in many ways...

You school definitely has firewall/switches but whether they use them is a different question. Here at VT, we have them and only selectively block ports/throttle bandwidth. Usually only when it is necessary because of network congestion and rarely permanently.

If your ResNet is blocking that port (I really can't imagine them blocking IRC unless the school has been plagued with viruses that work through/use IRC), then you might just try changing the port number to some other commonly used port (say 80, 21, etc) and see if it works. If so, they are blocking the port.