Europa Universalis II

Crowbar

I say "the greatest strategy game ever released" with full meaning. Take control of ANY country in the year 1419 and lead it through to the year 1820. That's a long friggin time. And I do mean ANY country, 180 of them at the beginning of the Grand Campaign. Not just European countries, but African, Asian, North and South American. You could play as the Delaware indians, if you want, or the Zapotec in Mexico. Of course, it's usually more fun to play Spain, Austria, Venice, Oldenburg, Hessan, Prussia, you know, the powerful countries.

This game goes far beyond just building armies and fighting wars. Engage in trade, many diplomatic options, balance your countries religion internally, as well as keeping it "acceptable" to your friends outside. Explore the world, colonize, oh, and of course build armies and go to war.

There are other play modes than just the Grand Campaign, such as the Age of Exploration, Napolean's Ambition, the Amerian war for independence, and others. Also, there is the Fantasia mode, where 8 countries start with 1 province apiece on an otherwise empty world map.

The game is in real time, with hundreds of historical events (yes, I even learned history from this game) and persons. If you're a fan of strategy games, definatly pick this one up. I saw it at Walmart not too long ago for $20 bundled with 4 other decent games. Or check it out here.

It's real time. It's like the map portion of total war. Yes, I played that, great game, I think it's still installed. EUII all takes place on a world map. Your armies are represented by a marching soldier figure (though they are composed of infantry, cavalry, and cannon). When two (or sometimes three or more) armies are fighting, you see an animation of several soldiers fighting in the left hand sidebar. You cannot actually go into the battle and lead it, like in Midevil: Total War. I may have to find Midevil and put it on, if it isn't, and we could play online.