Video card

rackish

Hey, I have a Geforce 4 Ti4800 SE, never had one single problem with it, and runs everything good for the most part. I was thinking for Christmas of getting one big gift, is the new Radeon card really good, and worth buying. I might be buying Doom 3 if that means anything, thanks (Homer).

Hmmm.... The ti4800 might actually be able to play Doom III, and it's not yet a completely outdated card.

As for the Radeon, I'd say that the 9800 XT is a waste of $$$. Just buy a Radeon 9800 Pro (128Mb version), since the benchmarks make BARELY any difference as compared to the XT. However, that's if u want to save some money. If u really don't mind wasting the extra $130 or whatever, then just get the XT, DO NOT get a Radeon 9800 Pro (256Mb version), as the extra 128Mb make like NO difference.

I have a Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb edition, and I am very happy with it.

Hmmm.... The ti4800 might actually be able to play Doom III, and it's not yet a completely outdated card.

As for the Radeon, I'd say that the 9800 XT is a waste of $$$. Just buy a Radeon 9800 Pro (128Mb version), since the benchmarks make BARELY any difference as compared to the XT. However, that's if u want to save some money. If u really don't mind wasting the extra $130 or whatever, then just get the XT, DO NOT get a Radeon 9800 Pro (256Mb version), as the extra 128Mb make like NO difference.

I have a Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb edition, and I am very happy with it.

Thanks, that's a real help, defintley won't get the XT now, I don't think I'll update just now.

This reason why a 256mb Radeon is not currently faster than a 128mb card is becuase all the games that are used to benchmark the cards dont use the extra ram. They are only gonna need 128 mb of ram. This is unless u actually use a 9800XY like it supposed to be, with a resoultion higher than 1024x768 with options such as 4xAA and 8xAF turned on. A game like Doom 3 will use the extra ram that a 256mb card has to offer. However, since no public benchmarks exsist you cant determine if the 256mb cards will be faster. Something tells me a 256mb will be faster in Doom 3 though and in HL-2 with quality settings enable. For now though a 9800 128meg card is nothing to complain about. A Geforce 4 card that is only Direct x 8 compliant will not allow you to see HL-2 in all of its visual splender, but it will be fine for an OpenGl game like Doom 3. Nvidia cards are favored to run a little better in Doom 3 too from what I hear, so that will help you out a little.