Freelancer

JackieChan

Suprising no one I know has played this game. Its awesome. More addicting space game I've ever played and I'm very picky about games. Mainly, you fly around in a spaceship more like a space craft, but it doens't really matter. You can either do missions, freelance (picking random mini missions to do just to get money), just wander the universe, become a outlaw, and even fly your ship into the sun (which burns up before it even gets there ;) )

I liked it because you can do almost anything you want. Transport goods to planet to planet for money, just fly around, kill baddies, or follow the storyline. The game is not really outdated (like year 2002+) but it still offers you hours of fun.

Did I mension you can play online? You can do missions with a party of people and such. Ambush transports and steal their goods to make a profit for yourself. I suggest you guys check it out.

One of the addicting space freelancer game I've ever played. I'd give you guys a link, but my internet is buggy... The games made by microsoft. Look for it on google.

I give the game two thumbs up.

Yeah, I played through most of the game. I had a lot of sound problems, which I guess is common even on legitimate copies of the game, so that sucked. I'd be flying a mission and the radio sound would go out, so I couldn't hear my directions, most of the game was played to the sound of only my engines and lasers. It was still really fun though. However, once you advance to the later stages of the main story, you can't really just fly around the galaxy, because by that time you've made so many enemies that there is only one safe system. I got stuck, I couldn't pass the mission where you follow the Blood Dragons gang to attack a governor's home. And since I had tinkled off the cops in that system, and since the system is so bloody hard to navigate, I couldn't get back to the jump gate to Leeds (the only safe place).

I read about the internet play, it sounds really cool. If there was enough interest, I'd buy the game, it's probably only $20 now.

Check out the official website, complete with a very quick downloading peek at the intro movie.

Let me find some screenshots....

fl_ss_ch_002.jpg

fl_ss_ss_001.jpg

fl_ss_ss_005.jpg

fl_ss_ss_009.jpg

As you can see in that last picture, this game has what they call "mouse flight." They've taken a flight simulator and made it fly with a mouse. And it works amazingly well. I was skeptical at first about flying with a mouse, but it's very natural feeling, and I think many games will be doing it in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

I got another copy of this a few days ago, and have become addicted to it. The game is so much better with working sound. I even jumped online a couple times, but not for long. The single player is really great. I would like to try the multiplayer with some people I know though. If either of you guys are interested in picking a server to build up a character on, let me know. There didn't seem to be a lot of choices as far as servers go, but I think if we could get a good one, and do some flying around together, it would be really fun.

You know, what would be really fun, is to have a server set up with multiple clans playing on it. Set ourselves up in the Freelancer universe, each clan has a territory, allies and enemies, and we fit ourselves right into the game.

Well, I've been playing a little bit online. It's really hard to start online though. You start out with only 2000 credits, enough to buy a couple shield batteries and one more gun. You have the entry level civilian fighter equipped with 2 REALLY crappy cannons. At least your character looks cool. So, I'm tooling around in the New York system looking for something to do. I tried joining the Rouges from the beginning, since you can't do that in the single player game (missions and all) but with multiplayer you start with no reputation for or against you. But somehow I keep getting good relations with system industries by using their jump gates or bases, and good relations with any faction who's ship I hail. And even though my relations weren't bad with the Rouges, they attack me anyway. Besides that, it's hard to find their friggin base anyway. So I decided to just take missions with the police until I can buy a good ship and outfit it well enough to become an outlaw. Once I started doing missions, it wasn't so hard as I though it would be. I actually earned 10,000 credits pretty fast. Still, it would be nice to have a little more of a head start. With a few friends though, I could see advancing through the levels real fast. It's hard to get things done by yourself in a crappy ship when you're fighting 6 better equipped fighters.