Demo Editing

Playaa

yeah geekplay is dumb....all it doees to make movies is take a screenshot every second or so.....after the movie is put back together you get about 20fps AND no sound at all......

so I really want to find a demo editor for CS but I can't find one ANYWHERE!!!

any help would be greatly appreciated

Ok. Here is what most people do.

Take the TV out on your video card (provided you have one) and port it to either 1. an TV tuner card in your comp. 2. to a real TV. If you have to do #2, you must have a way to get the video feed back on to your comp. Some video editing card of some sort. That is the easiest way I think.

Once you had the feed into your computer it should be easy to edit to what you want. Audio should work the same way. Just feed it simultaneously with the video.

I for one am not setup to do this. I could receive a video feed but I couldnt send it out to begin with.

Umm playaa there is no other way to make it, you have to take the screenies and the sound file and put them together again using VideoMach. this is no other way, if you find another way tell me.

Warning: it take up alot of space and time to make cs movies, i worked about 70 hours on a 1minute long one that was pure crap using

the Movie Command for half life

Adobe priemere

VideoMach

and Photoshop

it is almost as hard a making a cs map, tedious as a mof*

Here a tutorial about the process, read and play on playaa!

The Tutorial.

First u must record a demo at any resolution (you'll change it later anyway) using the "record [demoname]" command, and stopping it using the "stop" command. Once you have your demo ready, change your resolution to 400x300 in the CS video modes. Go into the console and type "timedemo [demoname]" and let it play through the entire demo, this will get it all cached. Now, you will type "startmovie [anyname]", then "timedemo [demoname]" right after. It will look as if you viewing it at 1fps, but that's normal. Once your demo is finished playing, type "endmovie". "Timedemo" will create a significantly larger demo file in your half-life dir (hundreds of megs depending on the time and resolution). If you have a fast processor, good video card and well over 1 gig of space u can increase the resolution, but I wouldn't recommend it.

You will need a program called mkmovie.exe http://www.pcgame.com/files.cgi?url=*/hl/m...ame=mkmovie.zip to turn this file into bitmaps. Once you have mkmovie.exe downloaded, all you have to do is drag your large movie file over mkmovie.exe and it will create many bitmaps (depending on the size of the movie), into the directory of the movie. Once again make sure you have LOTS of room. You're going to need a program to make all the bitmaps into an avi, I strongly recommend Video Mach < http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10079...7-1.6442423>. It is a very easy program to use. Once you have downloaded it, load Video Mach up. Go to "File" "Open". Select all of bitmaps (from first to last) and click open. If none of them get imported, try selecting less at one time. Once you have all of the bitmaps imported, you can go through and delete and move all the scenes you want.

Now that you have all of the bitmaps in the order you want, click on the little disk icon above the middle box. First Create an output name, and select avi in the dropdown box (it might do that automatically though). Then click on the video tab. Find the Frame Rate box, and unselect "automatic", then unselect "keep original duration". I suggest using 15 fps (standard avi format). Now go to "Format Options". Video Mach already has some compression, but if you want to cut the file size in half, you can use DivX encoding. You'll want to use The "High-motion" encoding. In order for you to do this, and for you and others to view it, you will need the "DivX Codec", which you can find just about anywhere. Click OK to save the changes. Now click on the lighting bolt above the second box, it will start to create the movie. Once that is done you have a playable avi movie.

Because there's no sound in the avi, I would suggest using a program called Virtual Dub < http://216.136.171.200/virtualdub/VirtualD...ub-1_4d.zip>. With this freeware you're able to open your previously saved avi and mix in a wav file (if you desire to use an mp3 you must first convert it into wav format first). When you've opened the video, select "Audio" and choose "WAV Audio" to locate your file. Now select "Video" "Compression" and be sure that it is on DIVX Fast Motion (if you previously chose that in Video Mach). Now simply go to "File" "Save As AVI" and you're done. If you have any problems, mail me at cepetty@home.com.

Woot Woot :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I don't quite want to say this knowing that it may get ppls hopes up and probably pan out to nothing...BUT...if Counter-Strike : Condition Zero uses the same demo technology (which I'm hoping it does since I once heard that CS mod users would be able to play on the same servers as CZ users, otherwise it's in reality a COMPLETELY different game instead of a HUGE upgrade to the mod)...IF that isn't changing...and IF I can get permission from Valve and Gearbox and IF it's not exceptionally horribly diffictult and IF I can get enough assistance and programmers (using .NET languages)...I MAY (stress MAY) be creating a piece of software to edit demos (or more likely just directly convert them to a video format).

Now that said...I realize this will be a HUGE project and could take a long time. However, I remember back in the days of Quake 2 how popular Keygrip2 was (a program for editing and making movies out of Quake2 demos) and how everyone used it to make some pretty good movies. I think this would be a great way for me to get a foot into the gaming industry (since I've never had the chance to work on a mod), and as a programmer that is very difficult. I think everyone would use it. (especially since it will be 100% freeware)

That said...no one get hopes up...because this has more chance of failing by far than succeeding.

However, even if this idea fails, I will still do my best to make a montage of MCC games for the end of the season. (and yes they are HUGE!!!) I specifically have 10gigs of space set aside for CS movies now and 1 minute of a movie doing it the normal way right now (without sound) took up 900mb of space. This was in 1024 resolution at 100fps (which is actually choppy in movie standards...it's odd don't ask why)

Yea tell me about it, i have a 40 gig HD and i made a 4 min movie and it was pure laggyness, I cant wait till a get my new comp with 2 hardrives with 150 gigs, ask me why? cuz i want to :P

It will be my baby

Geforce4

1gig ram ddr

150 hd

150 hd

DVD-rw

2.56mhz

dvd rom

250 zip

18" flat panel

name of my box.......THE BEAST

oh yea :ph34r:

wow that's pretty nice.....but pricewise mine wins

:)

Geforce2 TI 64mb TV Out

512mb DDR Ram

80gig IBM top-o-the-line hard drive on sale for $80 (really proud of that, found it 2 weeks later for $160)

40x CD-Burner

24inch monitor (CRT) 19inch viewable

Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4ghz)

$500...(I think I could beat that price now and I only bought it a month or more ago)

anyone beat that?

thx Rev....

but I want to make a program that will make movies out of demos without a TV In/Out video card and still have sound...

Valve still hasn't contacted me again though...I'm gonna download the Half-Life SDK but I don't want to waste my time if Condition Zero will change everything...

NOOOOOOOO!!!!

just recieved this email from the man who made 'viewdemo'....that shoots down my dreams...

Hi,

well, I think you don't need to care about a demo

editor, I'm already

working on it. 'viewdemo' was only the first

step. It will not be a real

demo editor, more a tool for movie makers to

create camera scripts within a

demo.

what kind of features would you like to see ?

- Martin, the 'HLTV' guy.

Guest Mossad
Guest Mossad
Guest Mossad
Guests

use video mach...i cant help teach u how to make movies...its a pain in the donkey to do it professionaly with good sound and effects. And you have to have a ton of HD space. My video is like 13 gigs un compressed, but thanks to DIVX I can compress it to about 148 mbs.

• 1 month later...