Do Violent Video Games make People Violent?

Fatty

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guests
first  if your 5 or less you shouldnt be playing video games

My brother is 3 and plays video games <_< I assure you, all non-violent games - they are all child-friendly or oriented games.

Guest Agnt.Smith
Guest Agnt.Smith
Guest Agnt.Smith
Guests

in everycase, it all goes back to the parent. The Parent lets the kid play the overaged video games, the Parent does not teach the kid discernment between fantasy and reality, the Parent allows the kid to stay inside all day on his fatbut, the Parent is to blame. In everycase of childhood violence on record, I say the parents are the most responsible and worthy of blame, 2nd only to the actual violenter. (hahah i invented a word).

ok guys, lets get real, how many times growing up, after watching WWF or Rambo or something did we go try out a new move on our little brothers or act out something semi-violent or violent. Pretend Was that necessarily a bad thing? Am I a killer(some may be second gussing this one ;)? Back then games were't the ultra gor blood baths they are today, but there was still a level of violence and life and death type stuff going on. Did all of that influence me? I'm sure to a certain degree. I like to think that my eyes and brain are a filter. Constantly taking in data and processing it in ways we'll never know.. Storing it in memory banks for us to use later. so to make a long story short, I like to believe that almost everything we experience during our lives has a lasting effect on our psyche/persona. We all handle this differently. Adolesents are much more impressionable than adults(most). video games may cause a kid to act out a "fatality" on another.. Has it made someone actually kill? I highly doubt it.

Ok...i don't think that they cause people to be violent or to be.... ...what ever, but they will desensitize you to reality... I used to think that this was a bunch of crap and that a game was a game... until I picked up Grand Theft Auto III.

Played it for about three hours the night i got it and then had to drive a friend back to her apartment... at the first stop light she yelled "THATS RED!!!!" and I brought my poor lil Camry to a screeching halt.

And I remember thinking that "I knew that light was red and I didn't care b/c hey... there are no consequences for running a red light" well at least in that game there are no consequences... I have to say that that was the first time that I lost grip with reality... ...while sober... VERY FREAKY.

Will video games make you stupid... YES.

As far as a major behavioral change from a pacifist to a militant violent miscreant... more than likely NO.

I voted no. But it depends on the person. The younger you are, the more impressionable you are, nothing changes that. But children, even at early ages, develop a sense of right and wrong fairly young. There would have to be a large gap in pyschological development for a kid to try and b 4 3 b 6 and go shoot someone, using an internet game as more of a justification than a conscience. Take me for instance. Even when I try to be badass (which I'm not), there's always that little voice saying "what are you doing noob?". But again, it's entirely situational. But I stick by my no. Reasonable levels of intelligence, and a sense of consequence rules out violence caused by video gaming.

-edit-

Oh, and I agree with most of the points Bubblegum Bandit made.