Help me!

AceMcbanon

I have a problem that i can not solve. I am on a network on a 3meg cable connection and my ping in cs during most hours is 400-600 and yet speed tests show me at 928kb/s down speed. What is going on here? Even webpages load slow when i am experiencing this speed problem with cs. But tests continue to show my down speed around 1000k/b sec.

THe ping is at a steady 500-800 right now

Edited by AceMcbanon

You run Ad-Aware and/or SpybotSD recently?

Also, try downloading and running this utility, UOTrace. When you first run it, you will receive the following error. Just say yes (The error occurs because the original use for this utility no longer exists).

uotrace_error.jpg

Do a "Trace Route" to the CS server's IP address. Then click on "Poll" for a bit (say 2 minutes or so) and then click the "Stop poll" button (same one as "Poll").

uotrace_poll.jpg

Looking at the sample poll resultabove , you can determine which hop you are having trouble with based on the "Ping Time", "Ping Avg", "% Loss", and "Ping best/worst" columns. (the "Ping best/worst" is the quickets indicator).

In the above example, Hop 8 looks like a problem but it is not. The 100% packet loss seems to say it is but the Ping Time is 10ms. This just shows that the admin of that particular box has set it so that it doesn't respond to pings.

The problem hop above is Hop 12 (this really isnt'a a good example as none of the hops are really bad). *Unknown Host* just means it either doesn't have a registered DNS entry associated for it or that the admin has blocked it from responding. The "Ping Avg" seems consistent with the others but the "Ping best/worst" shows that at some time, it spiked up to 27ms.

The hop with the biggest difference between the "Ping best/worst" is most likely causeing you the problem. If it is within your first 3 hops, you can call and complain to your ISP (most likely these hops will be withing your ISPs network...1st hop is from your computer to your cable/dsl so if that is the problem, you might check your system).

If it is in the last couple of hops, then you might contact the CS Server admin and tell them the issue and they might be able to do something for you (Probably not, but worth a shot).

If it is somewhere in the middle, this is probably a major upstream provider and I highly doubt one lowly gamer is going to be able to convince them they need to make a change in their network routing infrastructure so you will most likely be screwed.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

It does sound a lot like a possible upload problem. You can be downloading 10 things at once and still get 50 ping (I know I do) but as soon as you are uploading something, it can kill your ping. Make sure you do not have something killing your bandwidth such as spyware or a virus.

http://housecall.antivirus.com

http://www.lavasoft.de (The new SE version is much better than the older version. It is currently at 1.3)

Do a search for Spybot S&D 1.3 and Spyware Blaster 3.2

Also, go into your dos prompt from within windows (Start => Run => CMD or Command)

Do a: Netstat

Netstat -n (Shows address and port number)

netstat -a (That is the best, more detail)

The netstat command tells you what is currently connected to what.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
I ran adaware and found some stuff and the ping lowered from 80-300 but still horrible.

My upload speed is around 25k/b could that be the problem??

yes

what is your upload speed supposed to be?

UPDATE:

It's not my computer, we hooked up a couple laptops and its the exact same problem for them. Called charter and their poopty service said "Your modem is showing up as working fine it's your router and we don't deal with them bye."

So got a wireless ROUTER and still have the same exact problem as the other Router....

Our service is 3mb upstream, 256 k/b upstream

Now when i unplug my roomates computer my ping gets better. But shouldent this service easily handle two computers?? I never had a problem playing cs and having a couple roomates download or surf the web at the same time so what is the problem now???.

(edited)

unhook the router. call them back. then they'll help you. just dont mention it to them and they'll be fine. if they send someone to help you, just unhook it for them. and unless you get a real mean guy, they'll still help you.

i have charter too. same thing was happening to me.

ended up for me being my nic had gone bad.

your service should be able to do it. i'm running the exact same thing and i do it with 3 computers. do you live in an apartment where you'd have to share a lot of bandwidth?

Edited by ishmael

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

If you roomate or buddy is sharing your connection and has either:

1. Spyware, your ping will suffer

2. Virus/Trojan, Uploading from his comp effects your network, your ping

will suffer

3. File Sharing prog like Winmx, Kazaa, Emule Plus, and if these are

upload, then your ping will suffer

4. All of the above including yourself, may as well be using dial up

As to their service. The best thing to do is hook it up directly to your comp, see if you still have the same problem, if not, then it isn't your comp.

Then hook it up directly to your buddy's comp and see how it works there, if it is bad, then he has spyware, trojan, or virus or multiple of these for a problem. At that point, keep him off your network until he learns basic network security.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
Ok its back to crap. He does use MX and lets a lot of people upload so would that be enough to cripple our connection??

Yup, that is exactly what it is. Your upload is limited to 256K and having something like Winmx uploading crap will cripple it without a doubt. When I stayed with my buddy for a while last summer, he would do that and as soon as I unplugged his ethernet (He was at work) it would be back to normal.