PCL or MCL tear?

Mini_Me

A couple of my friends have that were former soccer players. Laymans terms the ACL keeps your shin from moving too far forward and the PCL keeps it from moving too far back. MCL keeps the knee from spreading apart and is on the inside of the joint. Usually a blow that would affect the MCL would do the ACL but I guess if hit correctly could tear the PCL as you said could be the case with you. MCL tear is from a side shot like when the knee buckles. When it hits the knee and it widens the MCL holds it together so that stretch can result in the tear.

At least for the most part from what I hear MCL injury can be treated non surigcally. Let's hope that is the case.

PCL is bad news. I hope you didn't affect it because it's much more a pain to fix than even an ACL. PCL is supposed to be harder to do surgery on than ACL and it's about the equivalent recovery time which can be quite long. Actually I bet they'd have you just ice it down, etc. for a while followed by physical therapy. I doubt you'd have surgery on it unless you really messed up the ligaments in your knee. Hopefully the entire injury is minor.

PCL is an odd injury. What were you doing when you hurt it? For that to happen it would seem you'd have to have your knee bent and get hit from the side or back of the knee at the same time to get both an MCL and PCL injury.

That's just what I know from some friends that tore their ACL's and from learning stuff when I worked in a medical building a few years. I've been lucky to never tear any of the 4 ligaments in my knee over the years but have had a few scares myself.

Ouch, didn't you have a ban knee already?

I've had many friends who have had surgery one who has had surgery on all three actually. A buddy from work just had surgery done on his MCL and through the miracles of medicine he was walking on it the next day. Gingerly of course, but he admitted it hurt worse before the surgery than after.

Hope everything turns out well.

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests

Here's what I know..

ACL = 6-8 weeks

MCL = 6 months +

Never heard of a PCL injury before, but I'm a hockey guy, so yeah.

My sister has torn/damaged her acl more times than I have ever hurt myself in my life.. :rolleyes: Her last surgery to repair her latest damages left a TINY little scar and she was up walking (with assistance) in no time at all. The miracles of modern medicine.

Just think.. They used to take people out back and shoot 'em if they were hurt badly enough! Or was that horses.. hmm :unsure::D