AGP Apature Size

Gond

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

The ideal size that I've seen is 128MB. You want 256MB if you have a huge about of RAM and your vid card has 128MB or less if you are playing something like Doom3. 64 is default but it should be at 128MB IMO.

I've got an ATI 9500 pro with 128mb of ram. My machine has a gig of ram. My theory (and it seems to be accurate) is that by giving it 256mb of ram for the AGP it's unloading the stuff from the faster video card memory into slower system memory. By reducing it to 64 (and I want to try 32) it keeps more on the video card.

I may be way off base here but I've noticed this type of behavior with virtual memory in the past.

honestly, it doesnt matter. Tried it with 3dmark05 between 64mb and 256mb and it was the same. This benchmark is also a GPU benchmark only for the most part, so if theres was a difference it should have shown.

i also have a gig of ram in my pc, card has 256mb

With newer cards i dont think system ram is used to store textures any way. Which would mean the setting you guys are talking about doesnt change anything.

Current video cards have RAM that is much faster than any system ram out(think 1GHz GDDR3) so if you pulled information from your system ram your performance would take a huge dive downward.

Early on in the AGP card days the setting had meaning, but no longer.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
(edited)
I've got an ATI 9500 pro with 128mb of ram.  My machine has a gig of ram.  My theory (and it seems to be accurate) is that by giving it 256mb of ram for the AGP it's unloading the stuff from the faster video card memory into slower system memory.  By reducing it to 64 (and I want to try 32) it keeps more on the video card.

I may be way off base here but I've noticed this type of behavior with virtual memory in the past.

Actually, it is faster or otherwise it will swap from the HDD. So you want more AGP aperture than less. At least 128MB is most cases.

Edited by zerodamage .gc

"early on" would be pre-Radeon cards.

I disagree.

The original Radeon was a direct x 7 card and only had 32MB of DDR RAM on board. Later a 64MB DDR version was introduced that had VIVO(I own two of um). Those kinda cards could prolly benefit from some textures stored in system RAM. It won't help in the newest games today though.