PowerStrip

I'm messing with a program called PowerStrip that basically lets me output my VGA signal to my new HDTV. I have a transcoder that turns the VGA signal into component video since that is the only higher format input. (1080i is what I'm lookin for). Anyone have any experience with this....I'm messing around in their forums looking for info as well, but thought I was ask about it back home as well.

---bub

HACKS!!!!

No, I'm actually working on a whole house audio/video system run from a computer....there are a couple of front ends out there that are pretty sweet and free too!!!! Anyway....I need to use PowerStrip to basically trick my TV into thinking its being fed its native resolution. I want to be able to run a client through my TV for accessing movies and music....plus it would be pretty damn cool to be able to check mail, surf the web, and play games on my 46" widescreen while I"m kicked back on the couch.

Plus, if I get good at it, there might be some big money in it for me down the road.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Only thing I've ever used Powerstrip for was creating a generic INF file for my monitor a while back. I otherwise use ATI Tool for my OC and fan speed control and Temp monitoring.

I used to use PowerStrip for locking refresh rates back when Windows XP was brand new and the likes of refreshforce hadn't been invented yet, and before that I used it to crank the brightness on my old half-baked monitor. It's one incredibly handy utility.

As for the VGA->Component conversion, I can't say that I really know. I would guess that if you know your TV's resolution and horizontal & vertical refresh rate capabilities that you could enter them into the advanced settings in PowerStrip, but I would think that the signal needs to be in NTSC to work with the TV (unless that funky conversion piece you have already converts the RGB signal to NTSC). Personally, I'm somewhat lazy and would just buy one of those funny cables/adapters that ATi sells and be done with it.

^_^

Personally, I'm somewhat lazy and would just buy one of those funny cables/adapters that ATi sells and be done with it.

Actually, the one ATi sells does less than what the on I bought does....from what I've read, on MOST occasions you still have to use PowerStrip to get everything working right. I got the 480p to actually display finally, but I could only see the top left quarter of my desktop due to the overscan and front porches. I'm searching for the exact settings and refresh rates the TV uses......but if I could find that, my whole problem would be solved. I also found someone saying that SP2 was messing some stuff up with PS....so I'ma reinstall XP and not update to SP2 and see if I have any better luck.