Suggestions?

Guest ManSlaughter

Guest ManSlaughter
Guest ManSlaughter
Guest ManSlaughter
Guests

I'm a regular on Mobocracy II and I think I've earned a few words. First, I think that Mobo is a good quality server compared to other ons servers. I also think that there's always room for improvement. I have a deep hatred for bots, but I don't think there's much that can be done about them directly. The server is much more fun when it's full of real players, and when that happens, some server side lag develops and gameplay gets choppy. From what I've seen, it seems like a lower player cap of 16 or 14 could keep the server bot free and much more enjoyable during non-peak hours. Any comments? additional suggestions? blunt contradictions?

Hey Manslaughter! It was good to play with ya for a bit tonight. It seems I haven't seen you in a while.

Yep, the lag beast....we've discussed this a lot on our private forums. To be honest though, I haven't had much lag since we dropped down to an 18 man server again except for Redplanet and Dria (every time the core becomes vulnerable in dria, the lag monster strikes!). Every once in a while though, when both spec spots fill up and the server is jammin', the lag does hit.

I'm sure somebody else will pop in and give an "official" response, but until then I do have some advice:

Join up and you can read our private threads, our multiple discussions on servers, as well as our plans for servers in the future ;) !

Later and GG's tonight!

-Kor

Hey ManSlaughter, welcome to the GC public forums (you are wanting to join....you are wanting to join)...

To answer your comments:

Bots: While a verteran player who probably has moboII set on your favorites page does not need to bum public servers to find a good game and you are just like the rest of us...we hate bots to...but for now they are a necessary evil.

Reason: The majority of regulars joined /-=GC=-/ and have made a commitment to support the servers...and currently we are rebuilding our public regular base...of which we are thrilled that you are an active member in by the way. Still a huge portion of our large player base is the random player who scouts the master server list and sees 2 things...low ping...and high player count, and they hop in the server.

The up side to this is that the server is highly visible to the random pubber and conversly they will jump in the server and kick a bot and it has been proven to work since day one.

The downside is that bots are stupid and inhuman. But think of it this way: we don't have bots in the game so you can play against or with them-->we have bots so that you wont have to play against only 1 other person on the server (game speed and interest)-->we also have bots so that (in a round about way) you wont have to play with the bots all the time (again due to server visiblitly to pubbers)

In the longrun the bots will go away eventually. It all depends on how the UT community stabalizes.

Comment 2

Lag: I'm sure you noticed that this is Mobo II and not Mobo. We recently changed server providers and based on bandwidth and hardware specs we believed we could run a 20 man server lag-free. We were wrong and have dropped the cap to 18 with 2 spectators.

Study has shown that with 18 players (on DSL or higher connections) that the lag monster is caged. However, when we max out the player and spectators then lag appears, the same is true if someone on a dial-up or nasty ping joins the game.

One day we hope to have the funding to opt for a single box to run a high player count server (32 would be awesome). But for now we have a tight budget supported by /-=GC=-/ members and sponsored IP providers. We are constantly looking for players of not only quality skill but of quality personality to help support the community and fuel future expansion...one more reason for you to sign up eh?!

<phew> long answers I know...I'm in a dictative mood today...and hey, keep the comments and suggestions comming! See you server side mang.

Edited by Brillow_Head

Guest ManSlaughter
Guest ManSlaughter
Guest ManSlaughter
Guests

Thanks for they replys. I'll be more understanding with bots in the future. I guess it's a matter of opinion with the player cap, though. My opinion is that it would be better to have less people happy all the time. I think I'm interpreting correctly when I think that you guys want to have more people happy most of the time. As for joining, I don't think I have a better excuse not to join than I'm trying to get ready for college and I'm just not serious enough. Who knows what the future holds, however.

Ahh, come on Manslaughter! Even if you don't necessarily have the time to compete, it would be nice to have you in our ranks. You could still practice and scrim with the team when you had the time -- it's always good to have a few good peeps to scrim with.

You would also have access to the super-cool GC team skins! (thanks to Mk5, who is otherwise known as THE man....errr, bot)

We'll see you in game!

-Kor