Add a sound card?

gOOters

Well, I havent dropped in my new processor yet, it hasnt gotten here. But I am gearing up for HL2 retail and Source retail.

My system will look like:

AMD 3200+ Barton

Asus A7N8X-X (NForceII) MoBo

1 Gig PC 3200 RAM

ATi Radeon 9800Pro 128MB

QUERY:

However, my sound is built onto the MoBo. Would I get a noticable performance bump if I added a cheap sound card to the mix? It would NEED to be cheap, like $20 ir so.

I am expecting my comp to be able to handle HL2 and source pretty well, but I know it isnt top of the line or whatever, thoughts on that too?

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

With the Nforce2 and onboard Soundstorm Nvidia sound, you do not need a sound card. Trust me, the onboard sound is as good performance and quality wise as an Audigy card. The performance of the soundstorm is great. You will be fine in that department. Just make sure you get the latest drivers.

With the Nforce2 and onboard Soundstorm Nvidia sound, you do not need a sound card.  Trust me, the onboard sound is as good performance and quality wise as an Audigy card.  The performance of the soundstorm is great.  You will be fine in that department.  Just make sure you get the latest drivers.

Thats pretty cool to know :) THanks ZD, but it wont drain my MoBo processor to use the onboard sound (i.e. affect online gaming performance and graphics processing)?

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

No, the onboard soundstorm uses the Nvidia DSP chip to handle the processing. It is the best onboard sound out there. Unfortunately Nforce-3 doesn't have it.

I don't even have a N-Force board and I use onboard sound. It works fine, except in certain games (i.e. The Matrix Online) where a sound card is required. I've given away my SB Live Value and SB Live 5.1 cards, so I'll probably just pop in an old Diamond Monster MX400 sound card.