CDROMs quit working.

ConGregation

After I went to bed last night (went to bed early) my wife tried to watch a DVD on the computer and it wouldn't work. From what she described it sounded like PowerDVD wasn't set on the right drive. So I didn't think much about it. I check it out today and realize the neither of my CD drives are displayed in explorer. I look in Device Manager and both drives have an exclamation point.

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

So I thought must be an IDE thing since both are out. My motherboard is Biostars M7NCD PRO which has a nforce2 chipset. I download the drivers and install. Doesn't help. Kinda stumped here. That was my only idea. Checked the cables and they were fine. Really hadn't messed with anything lately.

I'm still thinking this is an IDE thing but it might be hardware related?

Did you use the new nvidia unified drivers the 5.10? A ton of people are having problems with it and its IDE drivers. Maybe try loading an older version of the unified drivers if that is the case or read some forums about how people worked around it. Also, did you remove the old drivers before writing over the top of the new ones?

I just downloaded the nforce drivers from biostar... look like an old set (maybe 1.14). Might have to look into a newer version if it would help other things.

But I figured out the problem. Last night I was trying to find a decent CD burning program for a buddy and installed... wait, now that I think about it I only installed DVD players but one of those could have had burning capabilities. Anyway I guess there is a problem with some burners when you uninstall software. Found an answer for this in Microsoft's knowledgebase.