Networking help!

General J

Ok, so here is the layout. I have my computer, my g/f's laptop, both running win xp home, and a linksys router. For some odd reason they would both give me the "networking cable is unplugged" message with the two directly wired together. I bypassed that by wiring them both through the router. Now, I can access my shared folder from my computer and from her laptop. But, I can NOT access her shared folder from either computer. It gives me some error popup.

I am trying to get it so we can play LAN games through the two. I have Red Alert 2 installed on both computers, but when I click on the Network game button on the main menu of the game, it acts like there is no network present. Haven't tried any other game yet, but I am half expecting this same thing.

Using, say, CS 1.5 (since I can't find an older version to download than that. :boo: I really wanted like v1.0) how would I go about making it possible to LAN between the 2 computers? I feel like such an idiot right now, because I know it isn't anything terribly complicated.

Also, can I use 1.6 through steam even without an internet connection and using the same account? How would I go about doing this if it is possible. Or would I just be better off to go without steam and use 1.5?

The reason they don't work when connected directly is you would need a seperate cable called a "crossover cable" to communicate directly between the 2 PC's (with no router or hub). For the lan gaming you want to make sure that you have the same workgroup setup on both machines. Right click my computer and go to properties, there should be a workgroup setting, just make something up but make sure to keep it identical for both computers. For accessing shared folders, sometimes xp makes you use the guest account for verification. In the control panel under Computer administration, select users and groups and set a password for the guest account. Then when you try to connect to her PC if prompted enter "Guest" and whatever password you set up.

Hope this helps, I would continue but I'm about to go eat. The workgroup settings should take care of your lan gaming problems... sorry so short I'll be back later to check the thread.

Edited by strangefamous

I will have to try that. They were both setup using the network wizard under the same workgroup names, but I will double check that in properties.

Also, thanks for the cable tip. I actually did not even remember that. School is going to be some serious refreshment of my knowledge. I took a one year Cisco course in high school, but that was 2 years ago with a long time of not playing around with computers, so much of my knowledge is long gone! Luckily I have made patch cables before, and actually still have a crossover lying around. That will eliminate a lot of wiring until DSL is had.