Ok so this is what I went with...

simkiller

I said what the heck and went all out:

ATI RADEONX800XT 256MB GDDR38X AGPDVI+CRT+TV Reatail BoxAmount: $503

CASE RAIDMAX ATX-868WSP SLV 420W (Qty=1,Price=$46.00)

CPU AMD 64 3500+ ATHLON 64 939P RT (Qty=1,Price=$267.00)

DDR 1GB KIT PC3200 HYPERX A -k RET (Qty=1,Price=$258.50)

HD 120GB|SAMSUNG SP1213C 8MB 72R % (Qty=1,Price=$81.00)

110228 MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Audio/GB-LAN/USB/IEEE/SATA/DDR-400/ATX 64

(939) 1 $139.00 $139.00

POWER SUPPLY|ASPIRE ATX-AS500-SV12V (Qty=1,Price=$54.00)

Zero could you take a look at my case and see if you think the PS is going to work out ok and also let me know if I should install more fans?

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc....-156-139&depa=0

thanks for the input from all

Edited by simkiller

Way to copy my system D:

Video card was higher priced than mine, chip was cheaper. It all evens out I guess. Nice ram as well.

Yours will probably run exactly the same as mine cause you have basically all the same parts except a dif. mobo and ram. Mines not even running yet cause I like to get busted motherboards ;/ so I should be getting the replacement this week yet again.

The video card is the best part. I can't wait to play HL2 with this new thing, its going to be insane.

I'd suggest to at least add 1 or 2 fans to the front, you want some air coming into the machine. Your rear 2 whould be fine as well as the side 1.

I don't know if that power supply is going to work out, the tech heads will be able to answer that. I know I had to buy a new powersupply just because you got a lot of things to power that do require a lot of it. I'll let zero and AK comment on this. A decent enermax or Antec power supply could do wonders. You never want to have a flimsy power supply and that is what a lot of people go lower quality with a lot of the times.

GL with the new system. Its going to be nice and let us know how it runs. Once mines up and running it'll be a great day.

lol tek! Ya know what the funny thing is though, is that I didnt even put this baby together. I have a friend thats great with this stuff and it's what he picked out for me without even seeing what you had posted. I guess this just reassures me that he picked out decent hardware. I'll let you know when everything arrives and it's put together. Thanks for the help man.

Everything but my case and vcard just arrived. Case should be here tomorrow and my card hasn't been sent out yet so it will be another couple of days before it's all up and running. My athlon 64 came with Win XP 64 bit beta...should I use this or just install my xp pro?

/me is excited!

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I say no to the Powersupply. Claims to be 420 Watt but the 12v Rail is only 13 amps. That is pathetic. Especially with an x800XT and that CPU which is also power hungry. Spend another 80 bucks or so and pick up a 470 Watt Enermax PSU.

That case looks really small too for what you will have in it. Be sure you have plenty of fans providing air flow or you will have heat problems.

Edited by zerodamage .gc

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

This PSU is the best for the money IMO. Never had any problems with it with the systems I've built and I think MadBean used it in his system.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-103-446&depa=0

OR BETTER YET. Go with one of these which will match your silver case perfectly and will keep your wire management perfect.

http://www.xoxide.com/ultra-x-connect-power-supply.html

And one more thing if you want to go cheap. I use an aspire 500w with the pretty lighted fans. Looks great in my case. They in the 50~ range. Very nice rails too. Maybe get one of those. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-148-005&depa=0

and then get a cable sleaving kit for PSU at xoxide for like 8 bucks to neaten them up.

http://www.xoxide.com/sleevingkit2.html

Edited by zerodamage .gc

My athlon 64 came with Win XP 64 bit beta...should I use this or just install my xp pro?

/me is excited!

Did you order your cpu from newegg?

Just curious. I'm thinking about ordering an AMD64 cpu. And I would like to have a copy of the Windows 64 bit beta myself.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
Think that PS will fit in my case? I'm on hold with Newegg right now to see what they can tell me.

Well no tech support from them so I'll just have to order and see.

If your case is ATX, then it will fit just fine.

Oops I made a mistake Lunk. I got it from the 110228 MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Audio/GB-LAN/USB/IEEE/SATA/DDR-400/ATX 64

(939) 1 $139.00 $139.00 that I ordered. Let me type out what the paper says.

Congratulations on the new purchase of your new MSI 64-bit motherboard. Your eligable to recieve a FREE copy of Microsoft Windows XP 64-bit Beta software. Your free copy of Microsoft Windows XP Beta Software will be sent after you complete MSI product and Microsoft's Customer Preview Program registration through:

www.msicomputer.com

I'm assuming it says I'm "eligable" because at the bottom it says while supplies last. When I get this thing going, I'll let you know if it all works out like this says.

Thanks Sim.

Actually, I went to Microsoft's website and found it. It's downloadable for free. I just wanted to make sure I got a copy of it. Because I'm going to start collecting the items I need to build a 64bit system. And I just made my first purchase. An AMD64 3000+ socket 939 from zipzoomfly $146.00. And it's retail. :D