College Selection

TFR|Cyberwrath

Well I'm a senior in high school right now and I've applied to and been accepted at Iowa State U, IL state, Northern IL, and Indiana U.

I live in the Chicagoland area, and I want to major in accounting and maybe go into finance or something (definitely become a CPA).

I think I have it narrowed down to Indiana U and Northern IL but I'm really not sure where to go. I don't think I'd be too comfortable in a giant school like Indiana, but I hear they have an excellent business program. On the other hand, it's about 4 hours away and I may get homesick easily (never really been away on my own for very long).

I hear Northern IL has a good business school too and is only an hour away.

Any suggestions or advice anyone can give me on what school to choose out of the previous ones mentioned based on what I've said so far? I'd really appreciate it, as this is a big decision :unsure:

I've been where you are...only 15 years ago. My choices were Ohio Northern and Ohio State for pharmacy school.

I chose the smaller school because of the fear of the size of Ohio State. I got lucky because the smaller school happen to be better.

Being older and working with many college grads who came from big schools, the common thread is: yes, I was scared at first, but I adjusted.

So, learning from others (big advantage if you heed that advice too), make your decision based on the facts (quality of program and financial situation), not emotions (fear of the unknown). You hold yourself back if you allow emotions to cloud your decisions...especially large one's like this.

Go visit the large campus and chat up some people in the lunch room. Get their perspective on campus life. You'll discover the common thread.

Another thing I discovered...larger campuses equate to larger (and more) distractions from the reason you are there--school. More parties, more friends, more things to do. Keep your focus. 4 years of school is a small price to pay for a lifetime of good paychecks. Ask anyone older if they could do college over...

Sorry to ramble on, I get "proud papa" syndrome when I see people forging their careers. Good luck to you!

MrDuke

Go visit them both. If you are really afraid that your homesickness will hamper your efforts and N Ill is really a good school as well...I would probably go there. Plus it's cheaper.

Which school you choose is important, but your GPA is just as important when landing a job. and if you can start life a little less in (school) debt, that would be nice!

I would also HIGHLY suggest that you call a dozen or so acct firms within a 6 hour radius and ask them their opinion of both schools and their hiring criteria regarding GPA & school.

Another thing I discovered...larger campuses equate to larger (and more) distractions from the reason you are there--school.  More parties, more friends, more things to do. Keep your focus.  4 years of school is a small price to pay for a lifetime of good paychecks.  Ask anyone older if they could do college over...

MrDuke

TRUTH! I went to a large school right out of high school. Honestly, it was more than this immature 17 year old (at the time) could handle. I was about 4 hours from home, homesick, as well as too much stuff NOT academic to do! Way too much partying, etc. I was unfocused. It took a couple of years to regroup and go back and tackle it. I finally got my Engr undergrad, the whole process was overall a great experience, but I would do it differently if I knew then what I know now.

Edited by gOOters

I am coming towards the end of my first semester (finals next week) at UCF which has 40,000+ students and I am having an amazing time. I do agree that larger campus=larger distractions, but its not hard to get your work done and still have a great time.