Decent gaming notebook?

akaM2

Hey does anyone know of any decent gaming notebooks? I really want to get one so I can then come to fragfest. Dont really want to lug my pc there. but if you could give me a link to one I would really appreciate it.

The HP-Compaq EVO line are pretty sweet, just make sure you get a gaming video card and not a "business or architectual" video card. I'm not real sure of the cost of these, but you can bet they aren't the cheapest since you're paying for performance!

I got it as part of my colleges laptop program (required for all students), and I love this thing.

Specifically I have a:

Evo n800c

40 GB hd

15 inch TFT LCD (very good picture and haven't noticed ghosting really)

128 mb mobility Radeon 7500

1.6 GHz P 4

512 mb DDR Ram (would recommend 1 GB, if it doesn't cost much)

Winxp Pro

BTW this model is 2 years old so they've probably gotten somewhat better by now.

GC Alumni
(edited)

Actually, I used to play cs 1.6 on it, but I haven't tried source yet. I'm playing on my new desktop that was built with HL2 in mind.

I've been meaning to check it out, and to get SP2 installed on the lappy, but have been kind of lagging behind on that computer.

One thing I'd really really really suggest, make sure you get the Fastest speed Hard drive you can. 4200 rpm really gets annoying!! It won't hurt gameplay, but it will be slower running programs and loading them, kind just that pet pieve annoyance level, but you'll wish you upgraded if you don't get it.

Hm, strange, I was looking at the specs, and it says 5400 rpm on one page, then 4200 on another. You might want to call them to ask what the right one is.

Otherwise that looks pretty good. I'd suggest going for the x800 video card, it'll cost you more but you might want to go for the best graphics.

I'm also a very big DELL fan, but I unfortunately don't know much about their laptops, never really had a chance to check them out. I haven't heard anything bad, and I've always had good experience with Dell PC's and their customer support.

Edited by Ice_Berge_00

You know what, I think I might just mess around with cs source on my lappy to see how my vid card handles it. It'll be a little bit for the download to go through, but I'll post how it goes, and I'll try to remember to do the video stress test and see what that gets. I'll post the results here.

Also I think the Evo is their business line laptop, so you might have to look under that section to find it, or they could've renamed it Compaq, I know the HP rep to my college said they were going to do that at some point. Since HP bought compaq a few years ago.

Oh hey m2.

Whatever laptop you get, I recommend you go into the bios and set the Fan to always on when under AC Power. This will make a BIG difference when playing games, if you don't your laptop will get much hotter faster.

I did this on my evo back under cs 1.6 and it made a big difference.

GC Alumni
(edited)

Ok, so I finally got cS:S downloaded, after several attempts and messages from steam that the servers were overloaded :bang:

I ran the video strees test and got 77.18 fps. (Not bad, but you want to note that not everything was rendered greatly.

I had these settings on. BTW, these are what was recommended for my system, so I didn't really play with them yet. I.E. these are stock settings.

Model Detail - medium

Antialiasing - none

Texture detail - medium

Filtering mode - Bilinear

Water detail - Simple Reflections

shader detail - high

shadow detail - low

wait for V sync - disabled

console option -dxlevel 81

You can force a difference direct x level by entering a different number

81 = dx8.1, 90 = dx9.0, etc...

There's a tweaking post stucked in the CS:S forum that describes this in more detail

I also jumped on the server when it was on aztec. For the most part my fps wasn't great, usually in the high teens to low 20's. Course aztec is one of the bigger maps so I didn't expect it to be all that great.

I would think that laptop should be fine.

Edited by Ice_Berge_00

When people say Emachine.. people think cheap crap. But as for their Laptop's I wouldn't. Their top of the line one that is about 1600$ comes with a Athlon 64-bit, 512 ram, 80 gig hd, dvd burner and a Radeon 9600. It's a great Laptop and I wouldn't trade it in for anything else. Very fast and cost effective. Works well in CS:S and many other new games. Since my desktop doesn't work right now that's my backup :)