my .gc experience today @_@

normal

when I first started playing on your server (can't remember the ISP) I went under the name normal. I like playing here 'cause i'm 30 and the juvenille word-play often found on CS:S servers doesn't interest me in the least.

I think some of the .gc members are getting a little overzealous with the 'no profanity' ideaology. The other day a member wanted a guy named 'communist' to change his name. There's nothing profane about that its just an economic policy.

I had recently changed my name to 'Mr. Poopy Pants' because my fiance' one night, on the way to the changing table, dropped my 1yr old sons butt in my face and said 'smell that one'. It was just a funny thing. Today i'm told I have to change it 'or else'. I've been playing with that handle for a while but none-the-less there is hardly anything offensive about the word 'poopy'.

It seems to me that the ideals that make your servers a nice place to play can be taken too far and have the opposite effect. When a word or phrase is in question I'd like to ask .gc members to ask themselves if they wouldn't mind their children hearing that word or phrase on tv or in a movie before just throwing out 'change or elses'.

Thank you

eric b

"NormaL"

Good points.

I would have to say it's tough with so many admins on an active server to have the same answer for every single situation. That said, I'd rather our admins error on the side of "over doing it" because bad things happen when we under do it.

Frankly, anything having to do with body parts or functions have always been discouraged. Sure, poop is a kiddo word...nevertheless it's a bathroom word. Over the line? Well, not sure I'd say yes or no...but regardless if it's poop, crap, or the S word, it's still stinky and brown...or if it's from my 1.5 year old the last couple days, runny and life-threatening.

In the end, it's all bathroom stuff though. Threatening with the "or else"...now if this happened on the first request, I'd have an issue. I'm going to guess, however, that you resisted, either by silence or verbally...in some way. I would gamble that the "or else" wasn't the first thing that came down the wire. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd love to see you stick around under your normal alias. Whoa...I honestly didn't just do that on purpose....meaning no pun intended.

Thanks for posting.

for reference it's not only "profanity" we don't allow. We also don't allow things that don't need to be in the game...like "communist" or "I'm a homosexual" or "George W. Bush is king"...etc.

there is no reason to bring things like that into the game, so we do our best to keep them out.

(edited)

every admin is diffrent, you will learn every admins tendancies probably, or atleast some of them. Just if we ask you to chaange it change it, and we will thank you, and that will be the end of it.

BTW thanks for registering in the forums.

Edited by M2.gc

I am the admn who asked for the Communist name change.

That is a political party, just the Democrats, Republicans, Green Party etc. If you had those names, I would have asked you to change them as well.

(edited)
Good points.

I'm going to guess, however, that you resisted, either by silence or verbally...in some way.  I would gamble that the "or else" wasn't the first thing that came down the wire.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for posting.

nah just changed my name real quick. there was a minor stink that i didn't do it sooner but i don't read txt too much when i'm trying to kill and live. Both of which i find pretty challenging.

that's fine if 'poopy' is discouraged...its a privately owned site after all. Being so aggressive about changing it and playing the 'ban' card so quickly were not necessary. Also having it for so long before being told its a problem presents a breakdown in continuity. I've never cussed except once by typing 'om*' which didn't even occur to me, so the lack of continuity was a little confusing to me.

I disagree entirely about the communist thing, but again its your site.

Edited by normal

I disagree entirely about the communist thing, but again its your site.  It just seems that it was judged by subjective viewpoints as opposed to the actual meaning of the word.  Again though y'alls server so <shrug>.

Nobody really wants something like this to turn the server into a political debate forum, and we dont want people to be offended by seeing political parties

......my thinking

That is a political party, just the Democrats, Republicans, Green Party etc. If you had those names, I would have asked you to change them as well.

Nobody really wants something like this to turn the server into a political debate forum, and we dont want people to be offended by seeing political parties

......my thinking

M2, you're right that this is why that rule is present. Shodan, communism is not a political party. It is a system of government.

its an economic system.  Totalitarianism (sp?) is the system of governement that most often accompany's it.

Hmm, the guys name was "communist" . We have a party in Canada called "The Communist Party of Canada" To me it is a political party. I guess it depends on your point of reference.

Wow...all of this.

When it comes down to it, isn't a government part of politics? Can one exist without the other?

That's one of those that could come or go....but I have to back Shodan now that he made the comment on it. We keep religion and politics OUT of the server....so, ok, make your name Democracy and sure, gonna have to change it.

If the debate gets driven, we will again error on the side that keeps the server pure.

Hmm, the guys name was "communist"  .  We have a party in Canada called "The Communist Party of Canada"  To me it is a political party.  I guess it depends on your point of reference.

Interesting. Learning is fun :D ! I just did some research on political parties in Canada and I couldn't believe how many exsist! :=

The "communist party" seems to be active in 4 of the Provinces.

This one caught my eye: Coalition British Columbia. :peace: