Wireless Router

It really depends on the router itself. I've personally used Linksys's Wireless G router and know it has really good range and never drops the connection (even with a few walls between), but I've used some awfully pitiful wireless routers as well (packet loss, bad transfer rates, etc). If you can, buy it from someplace like Future Shop or Best Buy so that if it sucks you can always return it.

Figuring you mean this one, one of my friends has the not-wireless version of that router. He uses it just for Xbox and an old PC, says it locks up once a month or so (remember to upgrade the firmware or it'll lock up a lot more), but otherwise it's pretty good. Pretty nice range of setup options on it too, and certainly looks cooler than the Linksys.

...but I can't say beans about its wireless ability. :unsure:

If you have the option, position your computer so the line to the router goes as straight through the walls as possible, not at an angle...that's what the vendors suggest. Of course, it's at a really high frequency, so I'd suspect that mostly you're going to be getting reflected signals anyway...that's not bad, but it does mean that the wall isn't going to play as big a component in your signal...that can be good.

You can also buy a bigger antenna, commonly referred to as a "gain" antenna, for your wireless network...both your router and your computer, if your computer card has an external antenna. I'm not so sure about what you buy in the store, but antennas are commonly referred to in dB gain. I'd start with 5 dB and work up, anything less usually isn't worth the time.

But try it first before you go out buying antennas. You might be surprised at how well it works stock. On a side note, if your signal is weak or strong but as twitchy as a caffeine-hyped cat in a room full of dogs, then your signal is poor and can cause lost packets, bounced connections and the like which can cause ping problems, so if you notice those symptoms look into antennas.

Quick dB chart:

http://www.electronics.radiouk.com/antenna/ant_db.php

Better dB chart at bottom, explains dB scale mathematically (not hard):

https://ewhdbks.mugu.navy.mil/decibel.htm

i have a wireless G router but dont use it for gaming. Im sitting downstairs right now from the router and have a very good connection. The signal probably passes through 1-2 walls and the ceiling above me. and the db noise signal is somewhere around -58. D-link router

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

this is the one I use and it works flawlessly. My D-links sucked big time. Always rebooting and locking up. This puppy (Linksys G) has massive range with no signal loss. My neighbor is about 100ft away with 3 walls between him and my router with perfect signal strength. Something to think about.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-124-010&depa=0

I've always been a big fan of Linksys, so whatever my $.02 is worth I'll throw in for Linksys as well.

As far as network card type, believe it or not, quality matters...to a certain extent. I know people who use USB and don't have issues, but I would encourage you to make sure it's USB 2.0, as well as your mobo sockets, if you go the USB route.

After that, though I'm sketchy about the whole external device thing, PCI bus bandwidth is roughly 1/3, almost 1/4, of USB2.0 bandwidth. Also, USB 2.0 bus speed is higher, though the more prominent issue is bandwidth. Both USB and PCI share the bus among all devices, so that's kind of an equal issue. Theoretically, USB wireless network dongles should run pretty well, assuming we're looking at two cards with the same quality parts inside. So, I'd say whatever you are more comfortable with. The added advantage of a USB card, above all that, is that you can position it where you want to, moving the antenna around for best signal. Of course, with an internal card you can buy another antenna, but I'd rather not buy more stuff...ya know?

Whatever way you go, I'd say stick with the same vendor. While everything is compatible with the IEEE standard...staying with one vendor makes sure you limit interoperability problems that shouldn't be there.