J Gets a new Bike!

General J

So after a long winter of only a few decently comfortable riding days, I am starting to see the weather here break towards spring time. So, with that vision in front of me, I had to get moving. And move I did! I have been searching for the past few months. Some times out of curiousity and sometimes being very serious to find a good deal out there. Well, I found one. I am going tomorrow to get the check to buy a 1993 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6.

00010087E06.jpg

That is the actual bike I am buying. I found the add on cycletrader. Took the drive to go look at it today, and fell in love. The guy was very, very nice and made #2 on my list of wonderful people to do business with. That makes 2 for 2 so far! I was also allowed to take the bike out for a test ride, no questions asked. A lot of people want some sort of deposit or collateral. It has more miles than I was orignally looking for at 29,000. But it runs very nicely. I will be reporting more once the bike is in my posession!! I am very excited and driving my fiancee crazy! And yes, I did get the ok from her first :P:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::D

a lot of ppl i werk with have bikes

they're doin a good job of talkin me into gettin one

had a dirt bike a few years ago, i dont kno jack about rockets

any ideas to pass along to a rookie? like sites, bikes u like, n what not

thx!

:D:D:D

a lot of ppl i werk with have bikes

they're doin a good job of talkin me into gettin one

had a dirt bike a few years ago, i dont kno jack about rockets

any ideas to pass along to a rookie?  like sites, bikes u like, n what not

thx!

:D  :D  :D

I made the move from dirt to rockets in 96- I bought a 900 RR. All I can say is be aggressive in learning the limits of your bike and then be defensive in riding. I had too many close calls (none of which were my doing) and I hung 'em up in '99. It was a blast though!!

(edited)

TAKE THE MSF COURSE! I can't stress that enough. Street riding is a lot different. I personally started on a Ninja 250r. Great first bike. Enough power to get you in trouble, but forgiving none the less. The front brake power is not there, so clamping down the first few times will not send you over on your head. It needs to be shifted quite a bit, so you will master that pretty quickly. Only complaint I had was size and the rear tire. The size wasn't anything I couldn't deal with, and wasn't too uncomfortable. Just wouldn't want to be stuck on it for 3 hours on the highway.

A good site to check out, and the one that sold me on the bike is Ninja250.com

*EDIT* Not sure what happened to Beginner bikes... Sad to see that site go if it really is gone forever. Ninja250 site above is still a great place to get some info. Best option in my opinion for a starter street bike. Honda may have some nice top model bikes, but the 250's they sell just don't earn my endorsement at all!

Start the transition slow. Once you are comfortable enough, start pushing the bike harder. Just take it easy and don't go out to busy roads until you are prepared to concentrate on the bike and drivers not paying the slightest bit of attention to anything other than their cell phone (most of the time!)

Edited by General J

Bike should be back tomorrow after a brief visit to the shop.. :bang: The guy I bought the bike from lives in a developing subdivision. My buddy and I test road the bike further back where the houses were still being built. :bang::bang: After getting it home, I was looking over it while showing my parents and I found a screw in the rear tire. A nice new screw, still shiny and silver, so I knew it was from the construction area. So, about $220 later, I will have a brand spanking new tire on it. Needless to say, the woman is none too happy about new bike and new tire happening all at the same time. I can't say I blame her since the rear tire that was on it was pretty new.

But now I will have a new, better tire straight from Avon Tyres!

Azaro-ST-AV46.jpg