100 gallons per year

mrX

Ok.....look at this little beer tidbit.......26 USC 5053

You are only permitted to homebrew 100 gallons per year if you're a single adult. Doubles to 200 gallons/year if you got another adult around (cool that it doesn't really clarify what kinda adult). Only good news is that it's tax free. <_<

Something disturbing about a 100 gallon limit? Is that even a limit? Is it even enough? Can a person survive on 100 gallons of beer per year? Too many questions to be answered. You decide. Contact your congress person today.

Guest UberNewb
Guest UberNewb
Guest UberNewb
Guests

I would say that, in theory, one could survive on 100 gallons of beer a year. But then again, I've been to my family reuinions. o0o

Guest UberNewb
Guest UberNewb
Guest UberNewb
Guests

Not sure.. I'll ask my dad when he comes to...

Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guests

It's up there... cause a pony keg is in the teens.

mrX
GC Alumni

A keg is 16 gallons if I remember right from college. Pony kegs are 8 gallons.

Anyways, 100 gallons would be like 40+ cases of beer; 80+ cases if there's another adult in the house. That seems like a major operation to brew that much beer from home.

I have a buddy that probably makes about that much in a year, surprisingly it's really not that much. It's pretty cool he has made some really good beer and then again some really bad beer. Is the initial topic for sale of beer or personal consuption? Hundred gallons of beer is like a good month worth the drinking for me. :blink:

mrX
GC Alumni
Subject to regulation prescribed by the Secretary, any adult may,

without payment of tax, produce beer for personal or family use and

not for sale.  The aggregate amount of beer exempt from tax under

this subsection with respect to any household shall not exceed -

(1) 200 gallons per calendar year if there are 2 or more adults

in such household, or

(2) 100 gallons per calendar year if there is only 1 adult in

such household.

That's the applicable section. Not allowed to sell it and they can't tax you for it. But it appears you may be allowed to make more but just have to pay taxes on it. Maybe I misread the first time......Will have to look for that box on the 1040.

Am I giving legal advice now? B) Guess I'll just send the bill to the return address on this cookie I received. :lol::lol:

mrX
GC Alumni

Assuming 2 adults:

200 gallons = 25,600 ounces = 2133.33 beers = 88.89 cases

That's 3 beers daily for both people......guess it could be done.

I bartended for two years and worked in a liquor for two aswell. Trust people can do more often then you think. Example, I had one customer at the liquor store would come in about 5-6 times a week pick up a 375ml of Mr. Boston five Star Brandy and pack of Marb reds and chase it all down with a sixer of Miller Highlife. Nice guy had a job and family, but this was a problem. Some nights he would come in for seconds.