k-wix the vg remixer

k-wix

(edited)

Okay, so i didnt know there was a music section.. but one of my hobbies is remixing old video game tunes.

Idonno how many people here can appreciate the fine art of video game music (especially in the older days) but please, if you are or were ever into the likes of megaman, chrono trigger, and other various games, feel free to check out some of my tunes and comment.

http://k-wix.no-ip.com/music.htm (My personal site)

http://www.vgmix.com/users?kwix (the community of musicians i hang out with)

I'm not a pro by any means, this is more of a hobby and a way to explore myself and my talents, i have no official experience and have learned everything i know from other members of the community. Feel free to check out the site in general, there are some *amazing* songs :)

*Edit* as some of you already know, my site may be a bit slow, vgmix hosts probably 60% of the tunes on my site, if you want it quicker, you should try there.

Edited by k-wix

That's pretty awesome man.  What program(s) do you use?  Soundforge?  FruityLoops?

My main program for composition is FL Studio ^^ Fruityloops. I also sometimes use Reason.. For synths i use a lot of stuff, a favorite is albino. I do most of my editing in a free program called 'Audacity' .. works very well.

(edited)

K, that's some pretty sweet stuff indeed. Electronica usually isn't my style - I suppose I'm a bit of a purist, but I've made exceptions in the past (namely Radiohead's "Idioteque") and these tunes trump them all. I've fallen in love with your take on the Earthbound theme. And you're right, that game needs some serious acknowledgement, wether NES or SNES.

I actually sat down a week or two ago and transcribed some of the Mario themes, note for note in MIDI for kicks. I was spurred by my friend's ringtone which sounded absolutely nothing like the song, and wasn't even in the right key.

For your scrutiny:

SMB Main Theme

SMB Underworld Theme

and from

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest "Bloody Tears"

if I can, K, I'd like to request a remix to that song. I've loved it for years, played it with my cover band and Eddie Van Halen can't touch it.

Edited by Norguard

and from

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest "Bloody Tears"

if I can, K, I'd like to request a remix to that song.  I've loved it for years, played it with my cover band and Eddie Van Halen can't touch it.

Nice work. I get requests a lot, and i've actually tackled bloody tears in my early years (but it honestly blew) .. It takes me weeks-to-months to produce a full song with all the bells and whistles, honestly.. and maybe some day i will do a bloody tears rendition.. i've been wanting to get my Vania groove on for awhile.

BUT.. Here's what i'll do.. i will remix a 30 second portion of your midi, that should give you a taste of what a final product may potentially sound like.

Voila! .. okay, its a bit longer then 30 seconds, but it'll do. Besides, to any other GC members out there, it'll give ya an idea of what i do.. listen to Norguards midi, then listen to mine ^^

LINK:

http://k-wix.no-ip.com/VaniastyleforNorguard.mp3

Enjoy :hug::cool:

I quite like it, K. I think you should actually finish it and polish it up. The diminished chord that you pull out of that, just two chords before you break into the actual theme... ...well, it rubbed me the wrong way the first time, and it rocked hard the second time. Very hard on the third pass.

As for my MIDIs, I've got boatloads where they came from. I'm working on the underwater theme from SMB, note for note, right now. And I'm torn, as always as to the instrumentation. I don't know wether to make them all Square, Wave and Sine, just like the NES, or make them actual instruments, as they sound when my friend and I play them... ...so until I actually finish the piece, it sits as piano.

• 4 weeks later...
I quite like it, K.  I think you should actually finish it and polish it up.

I Toyed around with it some more, ruined some things, added some great things, ect ect, its not finished or polished, just 'exteneded' ..

The best part (for me) is by far at 1:12.

And the ending is completely horrible at this point, just an FYI.

http://k-wix.no-ip.com/Vaniastyle2.mp3

:= YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME :=

I can't believe you're doing this...all the memories...coming back...wow...I love this stuff...it's almost motivating me to do some of my own...

Btw...if you guys are editing and creating anything to do with midi you'll want to use Cubase, really the only way to go when dealing with midi

I do all my composing and editing (midi and other) in FL Studio - its what i've learned and 'grown up with' as a musician.. Any program that has a piano roll will do the job :P just best to work with what your familiar with.

On that note - i have a new work-in-progress i'd like you guys to check out, if your up for it.. i've been working Gerudo's theme from the Legend of Zelda (The Ocarina of Time).. and i'd love to know what you think. The original (if you'll remember) is a western-style acoustic guitar romp .. very cool song, you can snag a midi of the original here:

http://k-wix.no-ip.com/gerudo.mid

My version is a slightly heavier Rock/Trance geared version, im unsure of some of the elements at this point, but the general idea is basically down. Some unique synthage, garage/rock-style beats, and a loud organ, to give a very rough idea. I've been working on this for about 2-3 weeks now, version 10.

http://k-wix.no-ip.com/gerudo10.mp3

Anyone who is familiar with the original, lemme know how you feel about it :P thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wanted to dig this up mostly for Norguards sake.. but for anyone who enjoyed my Castlevania WIP, i've been putting more time into and Will indeed be finished soon. But yea - generally since he requested it - its mostly for him :) i'll be done pretty soon probably.

heres a much updated song.

*The intro was extended big time

*Slight Tempo Shifts for emotional groove added

*Few new tidbits before the lead break

*Lead is extended, infact almost doubled throughout the 2nd half of the mix - completely original(new) parts added.

*semi-complete ending (but not really)

http://k-wix.no-ip.com/Vaniastyle7.mp3

Wow, I can't believe I did not see this in these forums before. Awesome! Makes me feel like a kid again...playing Nintendo during summer vacation. Getting hold of a 2 player game then going to a friends house and staying up all night until we beat it.

Just awesome.

K, wow.  That remix is rocking.  I can't believe that came from a simple MIDI that I wrote in my spare time.

I suppose it was only a matter of time ... but now - im finished.

http://k-wix.no-ip.com/VaniastyleFINISH.mp3

* Bumps/hisses/General clean up on the song

* Intro was revamped, a bit better, i think. More brooding bass.

* Ending was latched on - its a unique one, but i think it gives it a bit more flavor.

All thats left is the title of the remix, and if it wasn't for you this wouldn't exist, so why dont you go ahead and give me a suggestion or two?

K, the very end is brilliant. The riff over the Major chord and the Major Sus4 was just sweet. It totally changes the feel of the original gothic, but as soon as I heard it, I thought of the good ending, for killing Dracula in under 8days in-game (I think it was 45 minutes or so, not counting time inside buildings). The sun is shining... the birds are chirping... you don't die a painfull, sorrowful death... Life is good.

As for names -

There were two things in the game that struck me right off the bat.

The first is a happy bit of Engrish, every time you completed a mansion, and collected a bodypart.

"YOU NOW PROSSESS DRACULA'S HEART." Even as a young'un I wondered what that meant, exactly. Process? Why would Simon drink a Vampire-Heart Smoothie?

So something like "The Belmont Process" (or prossess) would be nifty.

The second one was a line from a misguided villager.

"Bang your head against Deborah Cliff to make a hole."

I'm not sure what to make of it, but just a suggestion.

Edited by Norguard

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to give you guys some updates to a new song i just finished from an Old Super Nintendo game called UN Squadron. you guys liked my previous songs.. so why not post about my new ones? Anyone remember this old gem of a game?

here's a link: http://kwix.shackspace.com/downloads/kwix-wolfpackclouds.mp3

There you go, Its just straight up trance, so if we have any techno fiends in here, i'd suggest checking it out.