Crack in cement steps

duma

So, my steps to my home have a crack at the point where one step ends and another begins. Last year I used "quick crete" to fix them. After a bad winter, they have once again cracked. I am about to try a "cocking" like subtance to try and fix them. Just wondering if anyone else has tried something that is more affective.

The main reason that cement stairs crack like that, is from ground movement. Most new homes that are going to have cement steps, actually have the foundation for them, like an actual poured footer with block down below the frost line, that is the only real way to prevent movement. Other than that, you will just have to keep nursing them along the best you can :D

• 2 weeks later...

Post application of caulk:

I was surprised how easy the caulking worked. I was also surprised with how hard it is now. It really feels like regular cement.

Next up:

My deck needs some work.... it will have to wait until July.

• 1 year later...
Post application of caulk:

I was surprised how easy the caulking worked. I was also surprised with how hard it is now. It really feels like regular cement.

Next up:

My deck needs some work.... it will have to wait until July.

Post 13 months: I looked at this same crack the other day. There is no evidence of further cracking. The caulk has faded a bit, and one can tell that it was fixed if they are close, but far away it is hardly noticable.

At the 13 month period, I give this stuff a 9/10 stars

• 2 weeks later...

It will be interesting to see how everything makes it through the winter.

Because they had rotted out, I had to replace the expansion boards in my driveway. I did that

two years ago, and it is still looks great. I used 3/4 inch backed bead and a few tubes of

self-levelling polyurethans caulk, and it workd like a champ!

If you have any more problems with your steps, just rip 'em out and replace everything with pavers!

I did that last summer, and while it was alot of work, it looks great!