My workout

werD

5'10"

205 pounds

used to lift ALOT but during this winter i put a little weight on, mainly i just want to lose weight as fast as possible and build a little muscle (previous max bench was 230...nowhere close to that now)

Monday

Focus on chest and back*

100 ab sit ups on that ab roller thingy

30 min stationary bike (average read out would prolly be around 300-400 calories burned...more if im not exhausted)

3 sets of 10 bench press, increasing weight each set

3 sets of 10 inclined bench press, increasing weight each set

3 sets of 10 declined bench press, increasing weight each set

3 sets of 10 Flys, barbells, set weight (starting out at 20 each hand)

3 sets of 10 pulldown rows, machine, set weight

3 sets of 10 pulldown rows behind the head, machine, set weight

3 sets of 10 sitting upright rows, machine, set weight

3 sets of 10 bent over rows, barbells, set weight

Tuesday

Focus on arms and shoulders*

100 ab sit ups on that ab roller thing-a-ma-gig

30 min stationary bike

3 sets of 10 military press, bench press machine, increasing weight each set

3 sets of 10 shoulder shrugs, barbells, set weight

3 sets of 10 curls, barbells, set weight

3 sets of 10 reverse curls, barbells, set weight

3 sets of 10 tricep lifts, barbells, set weight (my favorite work out)

theres another 2 things i do but i dont know the name

Wednesday

focus on legs/touch up*

100 ab sit ups on that ab roller thing-a-ma-gig

30 min stationary bike

3 sets of 10 calf rasies, barbells, set weight

3 sets as much as i can do of my other leg work outs

3 sets of 10 curls, barbells, set weight

Thrusday

see monday

Friday

see tuesday

Saturday

30 min stationary bike

much abs as i can do

Sunday

see saturday

(note: sat/sun doesnt usually happen bcuz i am recovering from fri/sat night :lol: )

i dont think i forgot anything...but any critizism would be much appreciated!

Looks pretty good to me, I personally however would incorporate some more basic ab routines in. You can swicth them up and not get bored, plus you'll be working more muscles rather than the same core muscles over and over. In addition might try running for 30 mins instead of biking, just to mix it up. But if your faithful to that plan mon-fri and eat healthy you should drop weight.

A couple of things I would suggest.

1 - As far as your sets of each exercise goes. You are saying 10 reps per set bumping up in weight each time. Are you able to do 10 reps each time or is this your target? I would change that up a little bit. I would do 12 reps my first set, then 10 the next set, then 8 then next. Changing the weight depends on how well you recover. What ever weight you are lifting, you should have to really work to get the last rep or two on each set. If not, you aren't pushing yourself enough for your goals.

2 - I would switch my days around a bit. Monday you have as back and chest, Tuesday as arms and shoulders. You need a day of rest for your arms to recover from your back and chest workout. Yes, you are focusing on your chest and back, but your arms are involved as well. Give them some rest time before pounding them.

If you want to work out EVERY day at this workout, here is what I would suggest:

A four day cycle:

Day 1 - Check and Back

Day 2 - Legs

Day 3 - Arms and Shoulders

Day 4 - Cardio

Repeat from there.

A few tips if I may as well. I used to lift every day while I was in college and out dating....kinda quit when I met my wife...LOL Anyway, in my peak, which was oddly enough on the spring break where I met my wife, I weighed in at 6', 210 lbs, caliper tested at 7% bodyfat and was bench pressing 405. Yes, I bragged a bit, but it was also to tell you I have done a lot of research and know what I'm doing. Anyway, if you are looking into really getting lean and strong there are a couple of other things to look at. Muscle growth happens from muscle breakdown and repair. So, depending on YOUR recovery time you might need more rest time between exercises for the same body part. If you keep breaking them down and never letting them repair, you are going in the wrong direction. I also learned that muscles can kind of get into a routine. If you do the same exercises at the same weights day after day you don't gain anything. I never did the same routine for more than a month, sometimes changing them up every two weeks. The routine you are doing I would call a "Push - Pull" routine. You could change it up and do a "like body part" routine where you would put tris with your chest and bis with your back. You should also do different exercise for the same body parts. Don't do flat bench press every time you work out your chest. Do some dumbell presses or inclines or declines, change it up a bit. Hit those muscles at all different angles.

Hmmm...that's it for now, I could ramble for hours.

As far as your sets of each exercise goes. You are saying 10 reps per set bumping up in weight each time. Are you able to do 10 reps each time or is this your target? I would change that up a little bit. I would do 12 reps my first set, then 10 the next set, then 8 then next. Changing the weight depends on how well you recover. What ever weight you are lifting, you should have to really work to get the last rep or two on each set. If not, you aren't pushing yourself enough for your goals.

muahhaha already am doing that... :P

2 - I would switch my days around a bit. Monday you have as back and chest, Tuesday as arms and shoulders. You need a day of rest for your arms to recover from your back and chest workout. Yes, you are focusing on your chest and back, but your arms are involved as well. Give them some rest time before pounding them.

i see what you mean but i like to work out in 5 day cycles...the way i look at it is

2 days for arm/chest/back then one day legs (rest for upper body) then 2 days arm/chest/back then 2 days rest

as for your last part i am already doing that two :freak: ....i switch up daily between bench press, machine work, and barbells for a full effect on all my muscles

Well next time post your actual workout and I won't have to waste my time. As far as your workout rotation, make it whatever days you want, I just suggest putting a rest day between working Chest and Back and Arms and Shoulders. If you want to do it the way you say, then do Chest and Tris together and then do Back and Bis.

(edited)

Yeah like bubble said, you have to switch it up if your keeping faithful to your program. My coach swiches up our routines every 3 weeks. The first week you feel dead when you leave the weight room, but after the third week the set's dont seem as bad even though you may be doing more weight and reps.

And 405 lbs, almost got to double your body weight, could you even get your elbows to touch? haha

Edited by lostoften

Hmm... my turn...

Monday:

Run 2 miles

-Chest and Bicep

(I very the routine month by month)

Wed:

-Run 2 miles

-Shoulders and Legs

Friday

-run 2 miles

-Back and Triceps.

Sound good?

• 2 months later...
Hmm... my turn...

Monday:

Run 2 miles

-Chest and Bicep

Wed:

-Run 2 miles

-Shoulders and Legs

Friday

-run 2 miles

-Back and Triceps.

Sound good?

depends on what your goals are

i suck....i failed my workout horribly cuz im working 11 hours a day..hopefully now that im only working about 3-4 hours a day i can start goin to the gym more

Hmm... my turn...

Monday:

Run 2 miles

-Chest and Bicep

Wed:

-Run 2 miles

-Shoulders and Legs

Friday

-run 2 miles

-Back and Triceps.

Sound good?

You should probally be doing chest with tri's and back with bi's..

You should probally be doing chest with tri's and back with bi's..

Not necessarily. Its just two different types of workouts. Again, like werd said, it depends on your goals and how hard you work. You have a day of rest between everything so I would tend to say you are fine. If you are looking to shake things up you could go with something like AK is saying for variation. Then each musle group would get a week of rest. If you are having trouble recovering that might help.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I gnabbed my full time job I've been lifting on my lunch break with my co-worker/trainer. The workout takes about 30-40 mintues (we dont tell the boss about the extra 10)

Now, I've never been a weight lifter. I tried a few times over the past 4 years but every time I got into a good routine (3-4 months), my life style would change (moved, gym hours changed, class...mostly moving tho).

I've always dreamed about getting trim (dont care about bulk...I just want definition). Only problem is that I have natural bulk, or flab as it were.

I'm 25, 6' 1.5" and weigh 207-210 lbs dry. Dont know fat content but its probably over 20%. Military charts show my prime weight as between 177-182 lbs for my age and height.

I've been lifting for 3 weeks. First week hurt...as it always does (been there many many times). Week 2 I used to gage my wieghts per set...which I'll have to say is not much. I'm a big boy, but I'm not strong at all.

Bench:

Flat: 3 sets, 10 reps 110 lbs. I should be at 145 in about a month from now.

Incline: 3 sets, 10 reps, 90 lbs. My worst bench...always.

Decline: 3 sets, 10 reps, 35 lbs free-weight. No bar, makes it tough

Butterfly: 3 sets, 10 resps, 30 lbs free-weight.

Shoulders:

Front Raise: 3 sets, 10 reps, 20lbs free-w

Shoulder Press: 3 sets, 10 reps, 35 lbs free-w

Lateral Raise: 3 sets, 10 reps, 20 lbs, free-w

Rear Lateral: 3 sets, 10 reps, 20 lbs, free-w

Rear Delt Row: 3 sets, 10 reps, 20 lbs free-w

Tri's

Skull Crushers: 3 sets, 10 resps, 40 lbs

Close Grip Bench: 3 sets, 10 reps, same weight as skull crushers

Tricept Pushdowns: 3 sets, 10 reps, 50 lbs

Kickbacks: 3 sets, 10 reps, 20 lbs

Overhead Extension: 3 sets, 10 reps, 20 lbs

Dips: None yet...but ooooo man I love these when I can. (2 years past started them, couldn't get 2 in...3 months later I was whipping out 3 sets of 10 verticle dips...what a great exercise!!)

Bi's

Standing Bar Curls: 3 sets, 10 reps, 60 lbs

Preacher Curls: 3 sets, 10 reps, 55 lbs

Concentration Curls: 3 sets, 10 reps, 20lbs free-w

Standing Free-w curls: 3 sets, 10 reps alternateing, 25 lbs

At the moment I do cardio (about 30-40 min a few times a week) on top of lifting every day. We swap up the group every day and mix it up each week. On mondays tho we burn out on bench.

I hope with my added stability in life right now that I can keep with this routine, go up alot in weights, and FINALLY trim up.

depends on what your goals are.

My goal:

-to stay healthy

-motivation to keep away from cigs

-to destress

-to get more muscle

-to have my wife wanting to <removed>!

I actually got the routine from a website.

Let's say I wanted to get more muscle now. Keeping the same 3 days to workout, what would be the best muscle groups to work on the given days?

(edited)

Ah... so what AK and Bubble suggest:

"You should probally be doing chest with tri's and back with bi's.."

Would be the only suggestion, or is there a better routine? To be honest, I am getting bigger, and I don't "hurt" on the day of working out, but I find that my biceps are not keeping up with the rest of my (increase) in strength.

Edited by duma

From the little I know, Chest excersizes use some tri's and back's use some bi's.

If you want to work one effectively, say chest for example, then burning out on some tough tricep reps will help focus your bench excer on the chest muscles only cause your tri's will be a bit tired.

Same for Bi's and back.

From the little I know, Chest excersizes use some tri's and back's use some bi's. 

If you want to work one effectively, say chest for example, then burning out on some tough tricep reps will help focus your bench excer on the chest muscles only cause your tri's will be a bit tired.

Same for Bi's and back.

This is true, and many people do this. It always made me a little weary because when you burn out those tris or bis you also weaken your stabilzer muscles. So when you go to your Bench or whatever you do for chest if you're not very careful and use strict form with a spotter you could hurt yourself.

When you bench, instead of throwing out reps, really take the time to squeeze your chest muscles as you raise and lower the weight. Actually use your chest rather than your arms....depending on how wide your grip is, widen it a bit as well.

While that's mostly for bench, you can use the same emphasis on every muscle. Really concentrate on contracting the muscle you are working on. In every exercise you do there is the possibility to bring in other muscles to help you do the work, but you are lessening the impact on your target muscles when you do that.

Ah... so what AK and Bubble suggest:

"You should probally be doing chest with tri's and back with bi's.."

Would be the only suggestion, or is there a better routine? To be honest, I am getting bigger, and I don't "hurt" on the day of working out, but I find that my biceps are not keeping up with the rest of my (increase) in strength.

I have found, and have stated above in this thread, that the best routine is to vary your routine. Again, I'll ask what your goals are? You talk about getting bigger in one sentence and then getting stronger in another. While one usually goes with the other at some pace, reps/weight/sets can be varied to target one or the other. Cut, mass, or strenght can each be targeted by doing different rep/weight/set ranges.

If I wasn't getting sore at all, I'd push myself a little more. I'm not saying you should be as sore as the couple of days after you picked up weights for the first time, but you should feel some soreness from the breakdown of your muscles.

If I wasn't getting sore at all, I'd push myself a little more.  I'm not saying you should be as sore as the couple of days after you picked up weights for the first time, but you should feel some soreness from the breakdown of your muscles.

So, if I wanted to just build definition, I should focus on pushing more reps...say burnout on the last set?

If I wasn't getting sore at all, I'd push myself a little more.  I'm not saying you should be as sore as the couple of days after you picked up weights for the first time, but you should feel some soreness from the breakdown of your muscles.

So, if I wanted to just build definition, I should focus on pushing more reps...say burnout on the last set?

Not necessarily a burnout on the last set, but do sets of 12 to 14.

Here's the quick and dirty of it:

For all of them you need to be at a weight where you are really pushing yourself on the last couple of reps. 4 to 5 sets each exersize to make it easy(this could be varied depending on your exact goals).

for Strength 4-8 reps

for Mass 8-12 reps

for Cut 12-16 reps

Like I said, its quick and dirty, yes there is more to it but that will get you to your target. You will get some of all three by doing any one of them, but you will target that specific one if you stay in those rep ranges.

you can not target train FAT.  you can have a very defined muscle under that flab.  you have to cardio train and diet to lose the fat.  also at the same time lower weight and do high reps.

This is true. Was that just adding to the topic or did I lead someone to believe that you could?

***Edit***

I would assume this was in reaction to the Cut reps? While you are correct Shep, my response was assuming you were to that point already. None of this is instantaneous, but just because you do 12 to 16 reps doesn't mean you will go from being 50 lbs overweight to being a ripped fella by lifting alone.

Although, when you get into that high rep range, your workout is more like cardio than it is weight lifting. I should also add that your workout shouldn't take you more than 45 minutes or so. If you are a gym rat that does a set, then talks to every girl in the place before you go do your next set then none of that stuff up there applies to you.