Memory question

Preacher

(edited)

OK I have 2 512mb sticks od DDR Ram running in duel chanel mode and have no problems at all. The only issue is I am a bit limited on the overclocking due to the RAM. Anyway I have a customer who has asked me to get her a gig of ram and I was thinking of throwing in a stick of THIS I'm chosing it because of the low latency - Would THIS be better?

and giving her my kingston value RAM. Will I get slow downs by going from 2 x 512 in duel mode to a single 1024 in one slot?

I plan to add another stick a little later when money is more freely flowing in my direction, but haven't got enough to buy 2 gigs at this time.

I'm not a real brand oriented guy, but I do want to increase my performance and quality.

Opinions are requested

(and no I won't be cheating the lady, I'll tell her they are used)

Edited by Preacher

Sort of related, sort of not...

My board has two banks of two slots. Each bank has a set of white holders and a set of black holders (for lack of a better term). I have two sticks of 512mb DDR400 RAM. Is one supposed to go in the white and one in the black in one bank, or are they supposed to go in the white in separate banks?

(Didn't mean to hijack the post, just figured while you were on the memory topic...)

Thanks!

well you can't exactly call it an accident that you hijacked my post, but to answer your question: The colored banks are set for Duel Chanel RAM. Each set are duels so if you have 2 sticks putthem in the same color.

Now anyone want to get back on track for any reason why I would stick to my 2 sticks of 512mb rather than go to a single stick of better RAM that is a 1 GB stick?

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

well, if you go to the one stick you will lose dual channel performance, though the timings may make up the difference (OCZ is better in this case and excellent RAM.) With the lower timings you will be able to Over Clock easier too as you can lighten up on the timings to get higher OC's and not to mention OCZ is the Overclock king when it comes to RAM.

I would say go for it.

As for the person getting your older RAM, you did not mention what brand they are. If they are a well known brand then you can tell her they have a lifetime warranty since most of the major RAM makers provide that.

ocz is great ram.

whatdats, check your mobo manual. it should tell you how to configure for dual channel. some mobos use the same coloured banks and some use different coloured banks.

ocz is great ram.

whatdats, check your mobo manual.  it should tell you how to configure for dual channel.  some mobos use the same coloured banks and some use different coloured banks.

I have two matched 1 gig ocz sticks in duel channel mode. No complaints.