X800 pro questions

Slaphappy

So I was cleaning out the case put my 9800 pro back in and plugging it in when i feel something snap. On of the tiny heatsinks on it broke off pulling the chip with it. I crossed my fingers turned it on and...ya it's dead.

So i'm trying to find enough money to get a X800 pro. I've been looking on newegg and all the cheep ones are PCI express. I DON'T HAVE PCI EXPRESS :bang:

Assuming I have to get an agp one the cheepest is a Sapphire refebished one

there is also a ATI refurb for a few bucks more.

Why the heck are the agp cards so much more? Are they better than PCI express?

but what really's got me scraching my head :unsure: is the range in price for what I assume is the same card (just made my differn't folks) from 235 all the way to 299 for a x800 pro. (all prices found on newegg.com) whats with the big price jump. are there diffen't x800 pros?

Last but not least. anyone see a prob with getting a refurbished card rather than a new one. I belive they have the same warrntee...i think

From my limited knowledge, I know that PCI-E is the way to go if you have the right motherboard. I have an x800 Pro AGP and love it, but, if I had the money and wanted to do it right, I would have just rebuilt the whole thing with a new MB w/ a PCI-E slot.

ok take a look at this picture here 9800 pro

notice the power connecter in the top right corner, to the left of that is a silver cylinder then to the left of that a little black heatsink. That black heatsink is on a chip. that chip (still attacted to the heatsink) is mostly off, it's still barly hanging on to the card but it's certainly not connected as it should be.

As for going PCIE i just checked around and I can't find a motherboard that has PCIE and supports a XP bartron 2800+

that would mean new MB new processer and new vid card....I'll be lucky if I can come up with 250 for a vid card....So PCIE is out of the question now

Everything on your board is surface mount. Take a close look at the pulled off chip and see if you ripped up any circuit traces. I have a feeling that what you pulled up was the "switcher" power regulator, hence the heat sink. If the traces and the pads are still in good condition then it can be easily fixes by someone with better than average soldering skills (shep or myself), but if the pads or traces are cut or torn...it would be next to impossible to fix.