f.e.a.r. demo

shep48

(edited)

Downloading it right now, Shep. This one caught my eye at E3. May be a DooM 3 knockoff, but I'm hoping that it's going to knock my socks off, instead. I'll be playing it in another two hours, that's for sure. Thanks for letting me know the demo was released. I was waiting for the pre-order BETA to end, so I could give it a go.

By the way - anybody who likes storytelling, conspiracy theories and adventure games, check out a game called Fahrenheit. (it goes by the name of Indigo Prophecy in the UK).

It's a game like no other I've seen. A Max Payne feel mixed with a real-time Shadowgate/Bard's Tale mechanic, and a thousand different stories to tell, all-narrated by the heroes.

You control not one hero, but four: A man on the lamb for a murder that may not have been his fault.

The detective who is tracking him down.

The detective's partner.

and the older brother of the running man.

Every time you play the game through, it's bound to be a little/totally different, even though there's one single, linear conspiracy to the plot.

The demo will only last you 5 minutes or so, and only plays through one small part of the larger story, but in that limited area, I've found a half-dozen different ways to handle the situation, and it's really, really cool.

Edited by Norguard

(edited)

Haven't made it too far into the FEAR demo yet... ...blame the ancient 15GB hard drive that's bursting at the seams with just XP, CS:S, HL2 and this demo.

It looks good. Really good. It requires pretty much what DooM does, except I like the look of this one a little more. (Mainly because they've hacked some soft shadows into the engine, and the body decals are phenomenal). All is not 100% well, though...

The loading of level chunks could use some work. It's partly my fault, because I'm running the game a little higher than I should be, but any time I turn an important corner, I'm treated to a 10 second pause, while this poor 15GB drive cries and tries to load the enemies that are standing in front of me, shooting me, even though I can't see them yet. 50% my hardware's fault, 50% the fault of the coders/level designers.

The AI is great with jumping over desks and using surpressive fire. I love it. It's still not fantastic AI, as it's really just little tricks thrown on top of the all too familliar "run into hero, stand there and shoot" method of FPS gameplay... ...but again, I'm not that far in.

The intro felt a little too much like a 20th Century Fox TV series. No, really... The very beginning is fantastic, but the first scene with your character is very "low-budget primetime TV".

Going to try it on low quality now that I've seen the goods, and I'll play it again when my replacement drive arrives from Maxtor. All in all, I think this might be a purchase for me.

This, Fahrenheit and Alan Wake are my wishlist for the next 6 months or so.

Edited by Norguard

Looks REAL good. And you just about hit it right on the head, Shep. I think I'm going to own this one. It's got an atmosphere that just rocks. DooM only had three or four of those creepy moments in the game where your skin actually crawls - the demo has already had more.

• 1 month later...
What a horrible demo though. It was fun but you complete it in about 5-10 minutes - not worth the download in my opinion. Game looks sweet though, made me jump out of my chair at a couple points.

No doubt, when you finish a game in less time than it takes for the installation it makes you pound the keyboard a little bit. Looks promising but then again so did many demos. I'll be one of those that buy it after it's been out a year and a half so I can get it for $15.