NHL - Bertuzzi ruling

stutters

Subject to the continuing terms of the conditional discharge in Mr. Bertuzzi's criminal case and the "probationary period" which this decision imposes, Mr. Bertuzzi is immediately eligible for reinstatement for play in the NHL.

what do you guys think?

I really don't know what to think. Considering I'm an AVs fan it really tinkled me off when it happened. In my opinion it was blantantly obvious that his intent was to harm. A payback hit is a payback hit, but that's all it should have been (if it WAS actually warranted which is still up in the air in my book). On one hand I think this guy should be done playing hockey. Most likely Moore is. On the other hand, I just get a nagging feeling that banishment is too much. I think maybe he should have to split his salary with Moore either until Moore can play again or Bertuzzi quits the league? I don't think a couple of months suspension....yeah, its been more than a year, but that year was a lockout, I bet Bertuzzi would have been reinstated had they played this past year....is enough to say, hey guys, we can't be acting like this. Make an example out of him so it doesn't happen again. All it ended up costing him was like $500,000. To me at this stage in my life, that's around 10 years of salary, that would hurt me bad....Its only like 1/6th or 1/8th of his sallary, that's like a slap on the wrist.

I agree that what he did was unacceptable. I don't think that the civil suit against him has gone to court yet, but when it does it's a good bet that Bertuzzi will be paying Moore some serious coin.

That being said, I think he's paid the price. If you consider that last year he applied to be allowed to play in Europe and the NHL said no, then he's missed more that 20 games in terms of lost income.

You know there is a lot of speculation about Whether Bertuzzi caused Moore's neck to break, or if it was the pile up that occured on them after the fact.

But you know, what do you expect? Moore was gunning for Naslund...on purpose, u go after a captain? ur bound to get something coming to you. Now i'm not condoning what Bertuzzi did, i still think the hit was dirty since it was from behind, but a hit was warranted

You know there is a lot of speculation about Whether Bertuzzi caused Moore's neck to break, or if it was the pile up that occured on them after the fact.

I'm sorry, but I will not buy that. Its cause and effect. Had Bertuzzi not hit him from behind, ridden him into the ice, which rendered him unconsious, Moore might have been able to defend for himself. Bertuzzi was the cause whether it was instantaneous or not.

But you know, what do you expect? Moore was gunning for Naslund...on purpose, u go after a captain?

I guess we are going to have to disagree, I don't think there was anything premeditated in it. Yeah, it was a hard hit, but at least Naslund could see him coming.

ur bound to get something coming to you. Now i'm not condoning what Bertuzzi did, i still think the hit was dirty since it was from behind, but a hit was warranted

And ok, a guy puts a hit on your captain, you want to get a good hit against him back. Fine totally understandable, but do it with a little dignity, at least hit him face to face. It's totally dirty, there's no doubt about it.

GC Alumni

yeah, there are a few things you just don't do in the game, and most of em involve taking a cheap shot from behind. if you want to square up with someone, call em out. skate up behind the play and just keep jabbing em. give em a good couple whacks across the calves to say hi. i enjoy hockey more than any other sport because of the discipline, class, and unspoken ethics.

i feel like he should be sidelined, but not blacklisted from the league. let him coach or get involved with youth hockey, but also serve as a lesson to the kids of the game. but then again, americans let more violent criminals get off a lot easier...

eh?

I was sick when i watched the video of the hit and i was sick when i heard he was reinstated. I think he should have served a suspension as long as Moore is out. The longer Moore does not play, the longer Butthead Burtuzzi should not play. I have seen people hit and get revenge but this was not the first instance burtuzzi has taken a cheap shot and taken someone out of play for a yr. For example He hit Barett Jackman of the Blues cheaply and sent him out with a shoulder injury that cost him the 2003-2004 season. I also think he should of been a man about it and taken Moore on face to face. Give the fans a good fight and call it a night, but the way he went was cowardly and if i remember correctly play was not even on during the hit, play was dead and he hit him. That really makes someone not expect it. So all in all i think he should have not been re-instated and should still be out of the league atleast until Moore is back, if ever. I hope he does get to come back.