Upcoming Games

ConGregation

Two games. Age of Empires III and Civilization IV

AoE3 has to be the most awesome looking game I have ever seen. The graphics are astounding from the pictures and videos I have seen. I played AoE2 but never really got into it. Not sure why. The real time is part of it.. I tend to enjoy the less frantic and more deliberate pace of the trun based game for strategy (see next game). But my kids LOVED it. They liked to get into the editor and make these worlds with HUGE armies and then go destroy their enemy. The third instalments looks promising. First you have the graphics but then the setting is the New World which really appeals to me more than kings and European civilizations. Then some new promising aspects like "Home World". Even if it turns out to be a dud I am sure the kids will still play it to death.

Civ4 is what I am anticipating most though. As far as gameplay, there will not be any huge differences between this one and the previous three. Sure better graphics and minor tweaks. Some good and some bad (the better disbersement of resources is one negative... love having a corner on coal and making everyone else pay through the wazoo to get some). But its just the idea of really getting immersed into a game again. As the weather turns cold I can grab a sweater, send the wife to the kitchen to make some hot cocoa, and enjoy a totally wasted day conquering the world. My only hope is the multiplayer is actually decent for once. It has been terrible in every incarnation so far (and what makes it worse is that those incarnations came in the form of an expansion.... bleh!)

So what are you looking forward to?

I'm looking forward to Rome Total War: Barbarians Invade.

It's the latest installment in the series. I havn't seen anything about it yet but i know it'll be good. It now includes the Visigoth wars, Huns, and various other factions that plagued the Roman empire! can't wait!

Another game

Star Wars Battlefront 2:

I saw the previes for this and it's insane. They've changed the whole concept from Battlefront 1. Now it includes space wars as well as land wars, fly more things, attack ships and steal them. I can't wait for this one!

Edited by Xterminator

I'm already itching for Indigo Prophecy (aka: Fahrenheit). It's almost here. Next Tuesday, in fact. It's not quite an action game and it's not quite an adventure game. It's a 'choose your own adventure' action game, brilliantly narrated, and action sequences are acted out by mouse gestures/key presses. You control four people as you progress through the plot, and there are a zillion ways to play through each scenario. There may only be one good ending to the penned story, but you'll never play it the exact same way.

It almost reminds me of a "Max Payne" meets Eddie Murphy's "Golden Child" with "Maniac Mansion" and "Dragon's Lair" gameplay.

The other game on my 'must-have' list is almost enough in itself to make me buy a Nintendo DS:

"Trace Memory" is a puzzle adventure game in the style of "Deja Vu", "Shadowgate" or "Uninvited", using clues and items in the environment to put together the missing pieces in the story. It uses the touchscreen really well, from what I've seen. Add the latest Castlevania game to the list and that DS is as good as mine.

Civ4 might be a good one to invest in after a while. I also enjoy the occassional turn-based strat game. Its a nice break from the norm.

Black-and-White 2. I had the original, but the micromanagment got to me after a while. The pet, while a creative concept has a very stupid and repetative AI. Also, if you wanted to generate belief beyond your sphere of influcence then you were reduced to throwing boulders, lightning...people; which never helps your overal immage if you are trying to be a good god. The warefare, better AI, and improved interface all look to make BaW2 the game BaW1 should have been.

Sadows of the Collosus: From the makers of ICO. Looks like an interesting puzzle game. I'm playing ICO for the first time this week which seems like a stripped down version of Prince of Persia.

FFXII: I'm a big fan of the series. Looking forward to this with weighted anticipation.