Help the Rev?

Hey all. Got a question for the hardcore geeeks here. As you all know or dont know, I own a computer repair shop. Some come in needing seriouse virus removal. It gets to the point that the machines wont even boot correctly because there infected so bad. I ask them if they have current antivirus or antispyware software instaled and they say either they dont know or "yea, when I bought it THREE years ago". Most of you know what Im talking about. What I need to know is, is there antivirus software more thorough than Norton or AVG out there that I can use. I mean seriouse professional stuff. Also I use several types of equipment in my shop. Im thinking of buying new hardware diagnostic equipment from Micro 2000. Im specifically going to buy EraserDisk, RemoteScope, Micro-Scope Diagnostic Suite, POST-Probe, Universal Diagnostic Toolkit, USB-Scope. If any of you have this equipment let me know if its good or not and if theres any other good diagnostic equipment from other sources. Thanx, the Rev. :blink::boing::D

why not try using some AV SW that you burn every time you use it (burn new copies due to new virus' being released and the new packs the SW needs to use).

I have used things like this a few times on computers.

*EDIT*

The other thing you can do is get a machine that you use as a "VIRUS REMOVAL" computer. (always keeping a GHOST available incase somthing bad happens)

pop out the infected HD, put it into the removal system and use several scanners. Software and honistly, I have found that the online AV SW works wonders.

Edited by Acid-Flux

why not try using some AV SW that you burn every time you use it (burn new copies due to new virus' being released and the new packs the SW needs to use).

I have used things like this a few times on computers.

*EDIT*

The other thing you can do is get a machine that you use as a "VIRUS REMOVAL" computer. (always keeping a GHOST available incase somthing bad happens)

pop out the infected HD, put it into the removal system and use several scanners. Software and honistly, I have found that the online AV SW works wonders.

This works well? Give it a shot. Thanx. :D

(edited)
the trend micro online scanner is very good as is adawareprose and Spybot S&D. These have killed off every single virus I have come across - Norton and Mcaffe(sp?) are flawed when it comes to certain types of infestations.

Good. Needed a second opinion on the Trend Micro equipment. I use SBS&D and Adaware religiousely as well as Norton. I havent bothered with Mcaffe in years. Thanx Preach. :D

Edited by TheReverend(c)

I'll just offer a few personal experience comments....

I think a lot of the problems that affect today's computer users are frequently not actually viruses but rather spyware and adware. I have definitely found this to be the case with my kids' computers. Once you have a good antivirus program such as Norton or AVG on the system and you are keeping your virus definitions up to date on a regular basis, it seems the next thing that affects your computer, kills performance and otherwise makes it a fancy doorstop is spyware and adware.

Some of that garbage (spyware/adware) is not only insidious and dangerous (monitors keystrokes) but takes a real toll on your computer's ability to perform. Toward the goal of removing such irritants from computers, I have assembled and use frequently the following tools when getting rid of such pests:

Tools for removal/identification:

1) Adaware (I use personal edition cause it's free but I hear the pro version is worth the money)

2) CWShredder (removes variants of Cool Web Search hijacker). This program was bought up from the shareware author but is still available for download for free from various sources

3) HiJackThis (great utility for identifying all the "start-up stuff" in your computer. You have to know what the things in the list are and whether or not you should remove them but with a little practice, reading and self-training, you can use this tool to your strong advantage in preventing the types of spyware that starts itself through BHO (browser helper objects), run registry lines, runonce registry lines, etc.

4) KillBox (great utility for deleting spyware that trys to protect itself on your hard disk drive by preventing you from deleting the files that are associated with the spyware). Killbox lets you select the spyware file and delete it on reboot of your computer - about the only way to get rid of some of these pests. Again, you need to know which file to get rid of but this utility can delete them when Windows won't let you.

5) Filemon.exe (cute file monitor program that will watch your entire file system and show you accesses - in case something is getting into your files/creating a file/etc and you don't know which program is doing it)

6) pv.exe (simple cmd shell utility that helps you get a "true" process list of all the running processes in your computer. Some spyware renames itself so that the task manager list either doesn't show the process or it shows it with the wrong name. This utility shows you all the programs with correct names. When you run it, it dumps out a list of the processes that are running. Can be combined with KillBox to get rid of a pest.

7) Regmon.exe (another monitor program that watches for changes to the registry).

If anyone needs any of the shareware/freeware versions of these utilities, I can either upload them to a spot where we can share them or send them to you directly. They are quite handy and I collected them off the net over time.

Tools for protection (install em and keep em up to date):

1) Norton Antivirus (still one of the best)

2) AVG Antivirus (great because they have a free verison)

3) WinPatrol (keeps an eye on changes to your registry and lets you ok/abort them) - comes in a free version or pro (pay for it) version.

One good web resource for this type of thing is:

http://www.merijn.org/

There are many forums where people will gladly look over your "hijackthis" list and help tell you which items in the list are trojans/spyware/adware/etc pests. Merijn has good links to various forums that deal with malware removal.

Good luck!

Cranky B)

I'll just offer a few personal experience comments....

I think a lot of the problems that affect today's computer users are frequently not actually viruses but rather spyware and adware.  I have definitely found this to be the case with my kids' computers.  Once you have a good antivirus program such as Norton or AVG on the system and you are keeping your virus definitions up to date on a regular basis, it seems the next thing that affects your computer, kills performance and otherwise makes it a fancy doorstop is spyware and adware.

Some of that garbage (spyware/adware) is not only insidious and dangerous (monitors keystrokes) but takes a real toll on your computer's ability to perform.  Toward the goal of removing such irritants from computers, I have assembled and use frequently the following tools when getting rid of such pests:

Tools for removal/identification:

1) Adaware (I use personal edition cause it's free but I hear the pro version is worth the money)

2) CWShredder (removes variants of Cool Web Search hijacker).  This program was bought up from the shareware author but is still available for download for free from various sources

3) HiJackThis (great utility for identifying all the "start-up stuff" in your computer.  You have to know what the things in the list are and whether or not you should remove them but with a little practice, reading and self-training, you can use this tool to your strong advantage in preventing the types of spyware that starts itself through BHO (browser helper objects), run registry lines, runonce registry lines, etc.

4) KillBox (great utility for deleting spyware that trys to protect itself on your hard disk drive by preventing you from deleting the files that are associated with the spyware).  Killbox lets you select the spyware file and delete it on reboot of your computer - about the only way to get rid of some of these pests.  Again, you need to know which file to get rid of but this utility can delete them when Windows won't let you.

5) Filemon.exe (cute file monitor program that will watch your entire file system and show you accesses - in case something is getting into your files/creating a file/etc and you don't know which program is doing it)

6) pv.exe (simple cmd shell utility that helps you get a "true" process list of all the running processes in your computer.  Some spyware renames itself so that the task manager list either doesn't show the process or it shows it with the wrong name.  This utility shows you all the programs with correct names.  When you run it, it dumps out a list of the processes that are running.  Can be combined with KillBox to get rid of a pest.

7) Regmon.exe (another monitor program that watches for changes to the registry).

If anyone needs any of the shareware/freeware versions of these utilities, I can either upload them to a spot where we can share them or send them to you directly.  They are quite handy and I collected them off the net over time. 

Tools for protection (install em and keep em up to date):

1) Norton Antivirus (still one of the best)

2) AVG Antivirus (great because they have a free verison)

3) WinPatrol (keeps an eye on changes to your registry and lets you ok/abort them) - comes in a free version or pro (pay for it) version.

One good web resource for this type of thing is:

http://www.merijn.org/

There are many forums where people will gladly look over your "hijackthis" list and help tell you which items in the list are trojans/spyware/adware/etc pests.  Merijn has good links to various forums that deal with malware removal.

Good luck!

Cranky B)

CWshredder? Dont think I have that one. I run both Norton and AVG at the same time and have very little problems with viruses. Wish I could convey to my customers the importance of this. Thanx Cranky.