What else is left to do?

campkillyorself

Whenever I load CS:S or DOD:S, I get the following message in the server box, "Could not contact master game server to retrieve server list."

I have done just about everything I can think of to try and fix this:

1.) I disabled my firewall (Windows and Router Firewall)

2.) I completely took out my router by hooking my modem directly to my computer

3.) Changed the settings of my router to allow all ports to come in.

4.) Allowed everything possible in my firewall exceptions list.

5.) Completely deleted CS:S, redownloaded/installed it.

6.) Bought DOD:S, to see if the problem was with just Source in general.

7.) I'm able to locate servers with my Steam browser.

8.) I'm unable to create my own server.

9.) I uninstalled Windows SP2. (To get rid of the firewall :\)

10.) All of this happened after that wonderful update :P

Does anyone else have any suggestions? I'm completely empty on ideas.

Once again, any help would be much appreciated.

My advise: wait til the next update....after the latest one I want to cry everytime I play. I hear half of the sound, hear static as in cell phones while others speak on the mic, have jerkyness in gameplay....this drives me insane.....I won't play for awhile myself if that's any conciliation (don't know what that means) to you. :hug:

you say you're trying to load dod/cs source. when you say load, are you launching into the game, or trying to connect from your steam agent directly (like your favorites, but while in windows still) to a server? any change of error messages?

i heard someone say this update forced a refresh of the server list for you automatically. any truth to that? seems like that would be enough to make the server list unavailable.

I've tried just launching css/dod, from windows with the steam browser. But after css/dods boots up, it gets stuck in the connection phase, and then says "Connection Failed after 4 Retries." - Same error message I get when I try to create my own server.

EDIT:*** Forgot one minor thing.

11.) When CS:S/DOD:S loads to the menu screen, my mouse cursor constantly flickers. It has never done that before. (Not sure what that could mean, but I just wanted to throw that out there)

Edited by campkillyorself

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Update all of your drivers. Chipset and video. Make sure you have .NET and DirectX9c. If you have them all, download them again.

Put SP2 back on and just disable the Firewal. Too much spyware and viruses going around to not have SP2 installed.

Check on the steam forums. May be others with the problem and a possible solution.

Disable DMZ on your router. You have no latest updates and all open ports... you are asking for a virus/worm etc like it is now.

EDIT:*** Forgot one minor thing.

11.)  When CS:S/DOD:S loads to the menu screen, my mouse cursor constantly flickers.  It has never done that before. (Not sure what that could mean, but I just wanted to throw that out there)

I had the same problem with the mouse flickering constantly in the menu screen. I ran that driver cleaner tool that ZD posted about and then installed the latest ATI Catalyst 5.9 drivers and that corrected my problem.

how about reinstalling steam... That is something that I have not seen anywhere on your list and I'm willing to bet that if will fix it, if not re-install XP. XP only takes 30 min to get back up and fully running again, if you have all your software :)

12.) Re-installed Steam, my favorites work in my steam browser now. (They didn't before)

13.) NET_SendPacket Warning: WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL : 216.86.154.199:27015.

Thats the message I get in console when I try to connect to a server.

14.) I updated my ATi driver, but my cursor still flickers.

15.) SP2 is back on my comp with my firewall down for the time being.

16.) And the Steam forums mostly have people with problems like mine, but nothing to solve them that I haven't already tried.

And overall, I still can't access Source on the internet :(