Time to clean up my eating habits

avengence

I am finally ready to give up all of the junk that I have been eating. Breakfast usually consists of cereal or eggs. For lunch I usually eat a sandwich and chips with a can of caffine free coke (home made sandwhich). Dinner usually is a home cooked meal that consists of either beef, pork or chicken and 2 sides, usually a green of sorts and a starch (like potatoes). The only reason I have been eating good like this because I still live with my parents and my parents always have a home cooked meal. The part that I am bad at is after the meal. Usually I reach for ice cream, m&ms or something along the lines of chocolate. I also drink soda, I used to drink A LOT of it but now I can usually do fine drinking 2-3 cans a day. I have been wanting to clean up my act for a while but I feel as if I won't be able to and I will fail. Recently though, I stopped drinking caffinated soda, I don't think I have had a caffinated drink in about a year and a half now. Here are the goals I want to accomplish:

1 Cut out soda from my diet

2 Stop getting urges for chocolate and ice cream and all other sweets

3 Possibly gain a little muscle mass and get back into shape

4 Have more energy during the day and not be so tired

Also in a year or two I will hopefully become a cop, so this is probably a good time to start getting into shape again. I used to be a runner back in the middle school and high school days (about 2-3 years ago). Even though I have short legs my best time (that I remember) was 5:45 or so, give or take a few secconds. Now the only work out I get is playing paintball (running around) and I am hoping to start playing hockey again. Right now here is what I am at:

Height: 6'

Weight: 160ish (last time I looked was about a month or so ago)

Anyways, I am looking for ways to get back into shape. I have a treadmill in my garage that I can run on any time of the day, and I have a pool I can do laps in. I also have a bike that I can hopefully get working again so I can ride that around. But mainly I am just looking to clean up my diet for right now and hopefully get some more energy in the process. During the day I feel tired and usually dont do much other than go to school and such. Sometimes I find it hard to get myself to do some things but lately I have been motivating myself to do more. I feel like if I get back into shape I will feel much better and have a lot more energy. Anyways I am going to give this all a shot and if anyone has any tips or comments, let me know.

Hmmm.

Breakfast

Firstly I'd cut out the eggs in the breakfast. Top up your cereal instead. Make sure your eating some proper stuff aswell. I dont know what brands you have in the usa, but don't go for the sugary stuff that kids eat. Go for some wholegrained wheat type stuff, and if you can, go for porridge. It tastes like mank but its really helpful energy wise.

A good breakfast should stop you feeling tired for the rest of the morning.

Lunch

Drop the chips, pick up something like an apple or BANANAS! Bananas are good for energy, and will also make sure you don't feel tired.

Apart from that, try and put less butter on your bread, and cut out stuff like mayonaise in the fillings.

Dinner

Seems fine to me!

Fat snacks

This is the hard bit. You'll need to seak your own motivation to stop eating these. Heres some ideas/tips:

i) Ask your parents to stop buying these foods fall stop. Then you cant eat them!

ii) Turn your 'hunger' to other foods. Try eating carrot sticks or something

iii) Dude are you a woman or something? Only girls are addicted to chocolate, be a man, get some steak down you and leave it at that!

For some proper advice though, this seems to be the only logical plan I can offer:

Have dinner a bit earlier, say around 5pm or something. Make sure your meals are packed with carbohydrates, and have plenty of water, not coke!

Plan to exercise around 7.30pm to 8pm! Making sure you have your last bit of water an hour before you start exercising.

This should work, because between dinner and your exercise period, you SHOULD NOT be snacking, and especially not drinking coke. If you eat and drink soda within this time span your bound to throw up/have a stich/ feel sick in the back of your throat whilst on the treadmill. Therefore, this will prevent you from snacking.

After exercise, you naturally don't feel like eating for a couple of hours. If you exericse at 8pm, finish at around 8.45pm, then go to bed at 11pm, you'll probably avoid snacking.

Sleep

The best way to get a good nights sleep is by some good hard cardio exercise. I'm sure fatty can tell you that its pretty easy to drop off to slepe after a good session on the treadmill! I used to play 'soccer' (football :D ) so hard that I used to full asleep in the car on the way home from a match. So if you start an exericse pattern, you won't need to worry about sleeping, it will come naturally.

Not eating before you sleep is also a really important thing. If you eat before you sleep, your body sends more blood towards to stomach and intestines to digest the food that you have consumed. Its more beneficial if this blood is directed towards the rest of the body to allow a full recuperation!

If you want, i'll set up an exerice war with you like fatty/bubblegum and wayfarer/sj!

I'm about 6"2, I dunno how much I weigh at the moment as I have no scales but I'm looking to loose a bit of fat here and there and tone up a bit more! Send me a PM if you wish to do so and I'm sure we can make it a stiky topic :boing:

Edited by *BiGBonES**