computer help

Maxim-expertpistolier

ok i have a problem. i played cs before, on the GC servers and i loved it. I now moved in with my brother and now i want to get back into playin. I installed it, but it runs really slowly. like perminent lag, even when i create my own room offline it lags. I got more RAM im now up to 1GB, and i just installed a new graphics card, a Radeon 9250 . Its much better than my old graphics card. it did run better after the new graphics card was installed but its still laggy and if i join a server, it gets worse.

World of Warcraft runs just fine. I have a cable connection as well. Im goin out of my mind tryin to figure this out.

thanks for ur help

When you're in game, go into console and enter "net_graph 3" which will give you some info about framerate as well as network stuff. If your framerate is much below 30fps that will probably be a source of noticeable 'lag,' also ideally you will have 0 choke and loss as much as possible.

Also, be sure to take a quick look at your advanced video settings. Try setting anti-aliasing to none and filtering to trilinear. Make sure VSync is off (this will cut your framerate down quite a bit). Set your models and textures to medium. I played for a while with a Radeon 9000, so I'd be pretty sure a 9250 should get the job done.

well today i finally realised, that i never disabled the old graphics card, so i guess the comp was trying to use that one over the radeon. well, when i plugged the monitor cable into the radeon outlet thing, the screen was always black. well now that-that is over with, my fps is higher, but still seems to be lacking. the best fps igot was 76 but that was at 800X600 with all the settings set to low. now if i do 1024X768 i get an fps of 59. when i first did the stress test i put the settings to recommended and wow what a difference, i never knew the ct standing there was invisible, he was always justa white figure, and those spinning blocks, one i think was water, another looked like a church window, i never knew this. It was amazing. with settings that allowed me to see all that, i had an fps of 45.

i think my problem is figured out. thanks for the help, and mookie i will do that.

thanks a lot and I hope to see you on the servers sometime

tahnks again,

Maxim

:D

This sort of thing is why I'm not a big fan of onboard video. My roommate got a PCI video card to upgrade his machine to play a game, and for well over a month afterwards his mouse would disappear and sometimes windows wouldn't appear when they should be there. A while later we realized that his onboard video was still working, and Windows was extending his desktop onto both displays ;).

well i have great ping on the west server but my computer is about 3 years old now. i have updated my graphics card to a 6800gt overclocked nvidia and i have upgraded my ram to 2 gigs.

now i really dont have that high of an fps, it spikes in the seventies but it usually is in the 40's. but that dont really matter cause i wreck it anyways. just something to think about.