question about 'challenge tracking thread'

ich bin ein berliner

i think i might join this. but i dont know what the requirements are for it.

if i was going to be in this thread, id have to say my start date before working out was August 31, 05 then progressing until the third week of febuary. as of the end of august i was 200-204 lbs, with an estimated 15-16% body fat ratio.

i have a some what unfair advantage to the others participating in this. I am in college and I a division one athelete. I participate in swimming on my campus so basically, my whole life revolves around working out and school work.

schedule for the week

monday, wed, friday workouts

6:30-8:46 am: swimming consisting of anywhere from 5500-6200 yards (this is also dependant on the time of year for intensity/lenth [yardage] of swimming workout)

1:30 - 2:15 pm working out

the basics of my workout are: concentration of 4-5 workouts on certain body parts (id have to get my workout schedule to give exact muscle groups that im working out).

each exercise gets 2 sets of about 10 - 8 reps.

then: circut training. consists of 5-6 excersises, 2 sets of 10 reps. repeat twice

tues/thurs: swimming 4:30-6:45 consisting of 6200-6500 yards.

saturday: swimming consisting of 6000 yards.

how to put my swimming workouts in perspective:

1.) 1 mile = 1650 yards or 66 lenths of the pool (swimming from one side of the pool to the other)

2.) average workout of 5800 yards = 3.5 miles or 232 lenths

lowest yardage in one day 5200 = 3.1 miles

highest yardage in one day 6800 = 4.1 miles

3.) lifting figured in adds to fatigue of muscles which hinders speed in practice and the converse is true. swimming adds to fatigue of muscles for lifting so increasing of weight for lifting (in my opinoin) decreases probability of increasing weight by at least 50% up to 80%.

average calories burned for one practice (estimated) to include age, intensity of workouts and how often an 'average' college student swims: 2000 calories

lifting: unknown. my best educational guess: anywhere from 500-800 calories for a 40 minute, intense workout, abs included

with all this information, my coach who is extremly knowledgable with the effects of swimming on the young adult body advises that each swimmer eat at least 4500 calories of a well banlanced diet a day.

rough math: 2000-2500 calories for a swim practice + 500 lifting + 2000 calories from doing regular every day activities = (about) 4500 to 5000 calories.

sick thing: if i eat this many calories a day, id just be burning about the same amount i ate and then the rest is used for rebuliding of muscles.

if i was going to set goals, they would be semi-unconventional to your goals. it seems that weight is one goal of yours. while im in season, it is recommended that we do not try to lose weight because it will be detremental to our workouts: substancially decreasing calories will atrophy muscles instead of gaining muscle. so basically, weight isn't an issue with me, id probably have to set a goal of fat percentage.

any other goals would be secondary: ie, body weight and the amount of weight i am able to lift week to week.

The challenges were set up mostly for motovation to live a healthier lifestyle. I'm sure you have to be extremely healthy to compete in Div I swimming so, yes, you are way ahead of the game compared to most of us.

That being said, I'm not sure how we would could systematically compare one type of goal to another. Don't get me wrong, the competition is for everyone. We'd love to have you join. If you need motivation you've come to the right place. Just give us your address, phone number, and aim name and we'll be sure you get a workout in. LOL.

Anyway, throw out some ideas on how we would compare and its fine with me. Who knows, maybe there's someone in the community in a similar setup who would serve better as personal challenge to you, kinda like wayfarer vs. SJ.

Just post up your goals, and what you are now. (goals being in terms of time or weight lifted etc). then post up on the percentage of your goal you have achieved.

I'll challenge you if you want, as my primary goal is to get fitter rather than to live a healthier lifestyle. My sport is now rowing, however with my poor technique I'm sure i'll end up swimming :biglaugha: . If your up for it, should we make a war post?

Edited by *BiGBonES**

After reading your post Ich, I'm not quite sure what your looking for.

You don't really seam to need motivation. I'm guessing your looking

to lend some support? Or just to post up what your doing? Either way

I'd love to have you in on the Warpost!

Your WAY out of my league but I'm moving along though. Maybe you'd like to start up a more competitive post with Bigbones? Feel free to ask if I can help out

in any way. I'll tell you, your post is quite inspiring. You have no problems

swimming everyday? Do you do sets with a break in between, or is it

constant swimming? All front crawl/butterfly/backstroke? Whats your routine?

3.) lifting figured in adds to fatigue of muscles which hinders speed in practice and the converse is true.  swimming adds to fatigue of muscles for lifting so increasing of weight for lifting (in my opinoin) decreases probability of increasing weight by at least 50% up to 80%.

This statement really intrigued me. I started to do some light weights as well,

but quickly found this was VERY exhausting on my shoulders. (my entire routine

is front crawl) I had to stop or back off from the swimming.

Edited by wayfarer

the fatigue of shoulders is relative to swimmers. i only threw up that statistic because thats how much it fatigues me from working out one day and then how my body feels in the water the next.

considering your not a swimmer, the beating on your shoulders has to be greater than mine. if you dont know how to swim competivly, you will have to use much more muscle than 'negotiating' water. when you swim freestyle (front crawl), you have to rotate your body on your long axis (from head to toe). when you get good at swimming it becomes alot easier. to elaborate on my last statement, it took me about 2 years of division 1 swimming to figure out how to swim free style somewhat correctly, unless you had coaching, it would be pretty hard to develop your stroke.

I have been swimming for quite some time now, Ich. It's just that

I have only recently been doing it so often. (every second day as opposed to 2-3

times a week) My stroke is fine, though I only take air from the right side.

I do 5 sets of 6 laps (3 laps there & back) 25m pool. With approx. 2 min.

rest in between sets I complete this in just under 30 min. This is not on

par with you but I'm not competeing, nor do I have any intent to do so.

The only thing I was saying was I wanted to make small upper body

weights a part of my routine, but quickly found it was going to

interfere with the swimming. I probably should'nt have attempted them

anyway & it would be better if I left them alone.