My new rig

Acid-Flux

it just sucks because I cant really upgrade my video card without upgrading CPU and motherboard, which is the main chunk of money.

I would like to keep my P4, get a video card and a raid array.

that would only be like 400 bucks.

(edited)

nofx, you love the chaintech don't you... so budget. 1.5gig in dual channel... have fun with that. 36gig raptors are slower than most high end drives today. only the 74gig ones are worth it. 6800gs is a good deal but i'd rather get a x800gto2 for a tiny bit more and bios flash it to a full x850xt pe.

edit - acid, i'm sure he intends to use the raptors as his windows drive and use his old hdd for his backup/storage drive. 36gig is plenty for a windows drive. i have a 34gig partition for my windows drive and it's got 17gig free with steam and a few other games installed.

Edited by Cujo

yes yes, I do have my extra 80 gig and 160 gig for all my storage, use the high speed for installed applications.

So those 36k drives are slow eh?

then I would probably get something like

Adaptec 29320A-R 64-bit/133MHz PCI-X SCSI Card - OEM - $130 bucks

and a couple of SCSI cheetah drives for 125 a pop.

Ive always read that as long as you have a true raid card, one that has its own processor to control the raid, instead of the CPU your going to get alot more performance. So those two 36 gig raptor drives on a true RAID card would blow you ide out of the water.

(edited)

i didn't say anything about ide or scsi or that they were slow. i simply said that they were "slower" than the 74gig and most high end drives today. read any review of a recently released sata drive. maxtor, wd, seagate, they all beat the 36gig raptor in any real world test and even a lot of the synthetics.

we're not talking about true raid cards. you were offering 2 36gig raptors in raid and i was saying it was a waste of money. 1 74gig raptor will ultimately get you better "real world" performance as will any of the new sata drives. read reviews. have you seen one that shows level loading times are significantly faster on raid? or file copies? yes multi i/o is faster but how many home users do that sort of thing?

i run raid 0 with my two dm9s and i do it cause i like the bragging rights it brings. yea windows starts a bit faster but that's about the only real difference i've noticed. atto says i get 100+mb/sec but you don't really notice it affecting day to day use. i game, i encode, i extract, it would probably be faster if i just ran these two drives independent and worked back and forth.

edit - here's a link to support what i've been saying:

http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q1/maxto...10/index.x?pg=8

doesn't that 36gig raptor look awesome!!! read on to the load times. again it really stands out above that diamond max 10!!

i recently was thinking of buying a 36gig raptor for my boot drive until i read a couple reviews. now i'm just gonna get a dm10 and do away with my raid 0. 250gig is bigger than my current 2x120 raid0 and it'd probably be faster. someday i'll buy a second 250gig and raid0 again just cause. btw, the dm10 is 119cdn vs the 36gig raptor that's 133 and the 74 gig one at 220.

Edited by Cujo

when I ordered my Raptors about 2 years ago and never recieved them. I read the reviews how the 74 gigs were faster, but I always thought a raid 36 gigs is going to be faster than any single drive any day, especially if they are 10k drives.

now back on that video card, it dropped 10 bucks today, damn I wish I had a PCI-e mobo.