Cell Phone Data Plans

I'd like to know more about using the 3G data sidebands on the cell phone carriers these days. I hear that if you have the proper phone (e.g. EDGE-enabled with proper connectors or Bluetooth) or if you have a dedicated PCMCIA card, you can get wireless broadband connectivity wherever you are. Does anyone use these technologies? Does anyone know of a site that summarizes everything (costs, speeds, availability, etc.)? I'm really looking for personal experiences, but I would be happy to take someone else's research as well, provided reliable links are used to supplement the data.

Most cell phones are capable of "turning into a modem". I have the vx8100 and im positive you can haxor it to give you freee web. I did it on my vx4400 a few years ago.

While im not sure if this is exactly what your talking about, I thought id just throw in there my experiences. Oh another thing, if you have the data cable for your phone and you want to use internet on your computer / laptop, it can act as the modem as well.

(edited)

Acid, I was thinking more along the lines of what Lunk was saying, or the data sidebands of the 3G network that the carriers also use: For example, Cingular uses MEdianet. I know most carriers now have a data plan like Verizon's, though if this solution you are hinting at can provide the same speeds these dedicated solutions provide, or close to it, that's an option. I'm not clear exactly what you are talking about, though.

I was thinking specifically of EDGE modem technology:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDGE

Or any of the 3G technologies.

Edited by appalachian_fox