Bubblegum Bandit

Hmmm....I just copy pasted from a different thread...

*****This is Saris's work*****

Anime artist with the first post up!! ><

Been drawing for 3 years now, started when I was grounded for like, 6 months, got bored out of my mind and started to draw my own comic. Since then, all I've ever done in all of my classes is sit in the back and draw pictures. Only recently have I begun working with photoshop and the computer to make images, and it was a rocky start at first, but I thought it was great in my time, to finally have coloured pictures.

This is one of the first pictures I ever did, I'm a little embarrassed to post it because of how terrible it is, but it was a scanned image, coloured with a brush using a 50-60% opacity to maintain the shading I had already done with pencil.

anipiyoko0ms.th.jpg

As you can see, the result was less than optimal. I stuck with this way of colouring for some time because I was a little paranoid of drawing pictures solely on the computer.

I then went into a bunch of chibi (mini-sized anime) when I started to make another comic and an RPG with RPG Maker XP.

chibi1oz.th.png

The one of the far left is Saris! ><

chibi24mx.th.png

Anyway, not going to post much more cause I got 1000 pictures on my computer. Eventually, I've gone fully computerized, and use 4-layered colouring (border line colour, light colour, in-between colour and dark colour.) then use a very dark shade of colour at a very light opacity to do the shading.

Here are the results of my two latest pics with that technique:

feathers49ti.th.jpg

feathersx6fi.th.jpg

I like it, Saris. ...<fanservice>*ahem*</fanservice> Instead of a cat 'o nine tails, it's a fox with nine tails.... ...take that whichever way you want to. It totally works.

RPG building is something that I can totally appreciate, and if you get the story finished, coded and drawn, I will be one of the first people to play all the way through - I promise.

I tried a foray into anime-ish drawing style, for a short time. I was working on a webcomic years ago, that I just didn't have the time to get off the ground, nor the drawing speed needed to do what I considered a reasonable job, more than one finished comic every two weeks or so. Hardly acceptable.

...anyway, my half-anime, half-western style stuff came as I tried to reinvent the style of the characters. Namely faces.

sadgirlsanssnow1dx.th.jpg

This first picture was just a random sketch to get an idea for cartoonish facial structure. The hair/body is an afterthought.

sara3kl.th.jpg

This second picture was a finished foreground pencil sketch of a panel for one strip. It never got coloured. My comic wasn't hard-lined, but the pencil was darkened, and the pencil shading was kept and used, under the colour to accent edges and low-lights.

PS: I know his ear is way, way totally off at the wrong angle. I just couldn't figure out what to do with it until after I put the project on the very, very back burner.

...without a tablet, my photoshopping process took hours and hours, and I don't have all too much to show for it, so until I get a Wacom, these ideas are sitting on my head and on paper.

Edited by Norguard

Yeah good work Saris. Your really developing your own style which is cool to see. Was there any artists, anime, manga that influence your work.

I took various pieces off of different shows. Mainly, for building men, I follow Yu Watase, creator of Fushigi Yuugi and Ceres - especailly Toya, I think he looks wicked cool in some scenes - The very thin, cat-like eyes, with an extremely broad neck and pointed chin, etc.

For girls, it's really a mosh of different things. Maybe, above all else was Oh My Goddess, (can't remember the artist, gah, male jap. names all sound the same!) But the forms, especially the faces, are alot more round than his style. I try to accentuate the face and eyes as much as possible without ruining proportion, along with *ahem* other body parts. Now that I look again at the second last picture, maybe they are a little too big.

- Norg -

That's a good start, much better than when i started anime. It's funny how people think it's easy until they actually try it, eh? Proportion is very hard with anime and sometimes you cant even notice it until the work is complete. I've always wanted to start a web comic, but I was worried about characters being stolen and the work it would take. So likewise, with the RPG, I doubt I'll post it up when it's done.

Here's a rather old pic following Yu Watase's style, featuring SARIS!v5 or something...maybe v6?

morethanjustaduel22wy.th.jpg

Ah, and here's something interesting, a much older version of Feathers, who is shown in the last two pics.

feathers8di.th.jpg

(Ignore the stupid blurb on the side, character profile junk...)

Hmmm, certainly is interesting to see how she's changed. Of course, Saris has the most revisions - 1st version looking strikingly similar to Vegetto from DBZ, only with black hair . . . . It seems I haven't changed when it comes to constantly drawing in the panties. ><

I managed to pump all of these out before work today while I worked on my RPG's opening "movie"

openingbellfall1tv.th.jpg

openingpiyokofallcopy9wa.th.jpg

openingrubillefall2lk.th.jpg

openingyuirisfall0bj.th.jpg

Anyway, that's all until tomorrow when more work will be done on the 'movie'. As well, I have started the plans for an ultimate pic that will be the epitome of my skill to date. Don't expect that for a good month or so though.

Edited by Saris

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some more pics from my RPG. This weekend, I plan to really push and get some work done. You might notice that quality drop, cause I spend less time on these than on other pictures.

z006scsarisanifield0pl.th.jpg

z007scsarisanifield20pd.th.jpg

Here's a quick, temporary title screen i drew up, prolly gonna change it for the final product though.

xopeningtitle9sa.th.jpg

And a slightly revamped battle system!

yo3jc.th.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Latest:

lunesaris5vv.th.jpg

Once again, I got too bored to finish the background. I explored a whole lot of new techniques with this picture and it ended up taking me many hours which were essentially fruitless. I'm beginning to feel the only way to improve my quality at this point is to increase the resolution and spend more time making the curves and lines look better among other things. AKA, taking more time on my pics which I'm usually too lazy to devote.

EDIT: Oh, and the reason the guy looks funny is because he's alseep. I personally feel the postures came out fine.

Edited by Saris