Alternative way to prevent ghosting?

Hi,

I recently invited friends over to play on GC from my place. I noticed that to prevent ghosting the servers look for players with the same IP addresses and blinds players after they die to prevent ghosting. Totally understandable, although I just wonder if theres an alternative way to prevent ghosting.

Maybe restrict it so I can only view my own team? Actually, I think in general, this technique works even better, since it can prevent people who ghost over external comm programs like ventrilo, etc..

I dont think theres a problem with ghosting on GC, nor do I have itentions of ghosting, I just like playing with friends at my place (and it puts my three gaming machines to good use ;) ) and its just no fun to sit and stare at a blank screen, especially when I die early :(

I've never noticed this before (over the summer I've played at home on same IP as my brother, in same server sometimes), is it new? Anyway it seems to me like there's no good way to prevent ghosting anyway. Here in the dorms I could just plug a switch (or two) straight into the wall and get as many different IPs as I could fit Ethernet adapters in the room. Meanwhile home users like my brother and I could be playing on the same IP but not even on the same floor. Anyway the point is anyone who's going to deliberately ghost can just pick up the phone or use teamspeak or something.

Oh I just thought of this, would it be possible to just force someone to view only their own team from first person (like OSS config) to prevent ghosting instead? It seems like blinding people is a little extreme. Anyway if someone repeatedly was showing an uncanny ability to know where enemies were, they would probably just be kicked/banned for walling eventually.

the ghost blinding is a recently new feature of mani. atm, it only supports blinding:

mani_blind_ghosters 1 // 0 = Dont blind ghosters on same IP, 1 = blind ghosters on same IP address

the link i posted above is a request to include alternatives, namely mp_forcecam...just like you what described for oss. there's a new version in beta right now, as soon as the finals released, we'll either hope to see this feature, or retire to the nerdery and see if we cant hack something.

mp_forcecamera 1 doesn't work? It exists as a cvar on the servers, and is set at 0 now. At one, it should allow you to only spec teammates.

Or am I missing what is being asked for?