A few days ago steam froze on me and I ended the task in the task manager. Then I wasn't able to get it running again. I'd click on it to execute steam and nothing would pop up, there was a task running but nothing would show up. If I clicked on it again it would tell me that steam was already running. In order to end the task I would have to go into task manager where no steam application was running but the process was.

So I unistalled everything and reinstalled yesterday. It's all back on my computer from my retail discs but I can't get steam updated. I execute the program and finally something does appear but it's the steam is updating window and it won't complete. The yellow bars don't appear, somtimes it says it's reached 28% but never more. It freezes and then it disappears after an hour or so.

I'm going fricken crazy here and I don't know what it is.

anything you guys could advise me to do would be soo appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

:(

I had a similar problem a while back. What I ended up doing was killing steam via the task manager, then going to steampowered.com, then clicking on "Get Steam now" , then clicking "download steam installer". The installer just installed right over top of my current installation. It kept my settings and restarted steam after a few minutes with no problems.

I've had to do this several times. It seems as though rebooting without closing steam occasionally causes a bad shutdown by steam. I managed to get steam going again each time by just downloading the installer and letting it do its thing.