Anxiety Attacks

Well lately I have been overcome with anxiety about death. I do not know why I have been, maybe it is a sign I need to start going to church again. I stopped going to church when I was about 11 or 12, right before my first communion (I am lutheran). I have started going to church again, and I am really liking it. I am still kind of having trouble believing in the regligion completely but I think I just need to give it time. Biggest problem of mine is my anxiety attacks. I feel as though there is always something wrong with me, and I always think about the ultimate end (death). I sometimes think about death to the point of not living my life to the fullest. I think I even got myself into a depression because things dont feel as fun as they used to, and I have ignored people that I love (my girlfriend of almost 3 years). Anyways, I am looking to squash this habbit of anxiety and thoughts of death all the time (it has become a habbit now). I need your guys help... what should I do, I feel as though sometimes the computer might hurt the problem. I was thinking about getting a job and getting back into a normal busy life. Lately I have been mostly on the comptuer or at school (more computer than anything). I plan to keep going to church and maybe join a group of theirs or something and see how that goes. I think if I find god and some sort of religion I think I wont think about death as much anymore. Anyways let me know what you guys think.

I think every person obsesses about death at some point in their life and I think that's normal. But the anxiety should be addressed. I think you have a solid gameplan; make some lifestyle adjustments and see if they work for you. If they don't, don't be afraid to speak with a counselor.

I needed to see a counselor because of some anger problems and it was the best decision I ever made. You can say whatever you want to say without being ridiculed or judged. Verbalizing your issues really helps you manage them better.

Acknowledging that your computer may be a problem is a huge step in making yourself a better person. You've identified a problem, now what is your action-plan? Similar to a person who realizes they need to lose weight, the hardest part is getting off your arse and doing it. Make a simple plan and track it.

As far as your faith, I'll leave that to the vets. Congregation, Fat & Auggy are good people to bounce questions off of. Preacher is a great guy and knows his stuff...but he's a little weird :lol2: PM them if you need to.

Don't be afraid to vent a little in here. I would've lost it a looong time ago if it wasn't for these forums and these guys.

You're actually doing two good things right now. You realized that you indeed are having those anxiety attacks and also you're telling other people about it and looking for help.

The best advice I can give you is that when you're having the anxiety and thinking about death stop yourself very slowly and start thinking about the good things that are going on in your life. I've had my share of problems and believe me you actually do start to notice when you think negatively, so for every negative thought you conjure up immediately think of two positives.

Duke is right with the solid gameplan and with venting problems to others. You said you wanted to go back to church and start focusing on things other than the computer. Do it slow and steady, make it a decision to make it to church and also schedule time away from the computer to keep yourself occupied. Even take up a hobby whether it be playing a sport or an instrument, something to keep your mind off the anxiety.

Counseling is a good option also because it helps keep stress low by telling someone else things that you normally wouldn't say and it takes a big weight off your back to let all the things that bug you leave your mind.

Avengence,

I am really glad you posted this and admitted that something might not be right. I too have recently been going through the same thing. I have pretty much left my church adn have started to question my faith because of certain things taht have happened recently in my life. I worry and become so depressed because i feel as if I am not capable of living the life that God would require of me and therefore i start to panic and worry about everything i am doing becuase right now i don't want to die becuase i am not in a good relationship with christ and i have heard from other churches that salvation in no perminant and if you stray you can still go to hell so thats what i worry about. We have all these churchs preaching different things and i don't know what to believe and that feeds into my fear because i dont know how to live my life. I also have not been a good "hearer" of God and and really suspicous about things that happen. I am just glad someone else is in the same boat as me and has some encouragement.

We have all these churchs preaching different things and i don't know what to believe and that feeds into my fear because i dont know how to live my life.

Read;

Matthew 24, 3-4

3 Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be? And what [will be] the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?"  4 And Jesus answered and said to them: "Take heed that no one deceives you.  5 "For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and will deceive many.

Also;

John  14, 6

6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

If you want my advice read your Bible for guidance. There you will

find peace.