Dragon Quest VIII

Brillow_Head

What console? Playstation 2 is it not? I played Dragon warrior 1-4

on NES before FF 1 came out. (loooong time ago!) Fantastic games.

About as close to FF as your gonna get. In Japan The series was

Dragon Quest. For it's revival here in NA they changed the

"warrior" to "quest" I read about this. If any game franchise has the

ability to knock the FF series off the podium for "top RPG" this

franchise would be my bet. Look for an awsome game that will

start a new RPG phenomenom!

Edited by wayfarer

I keep seeing the commercial for this everywhere...man I've been itching for a good RPG for so long now, especially since I was a long time XBox owner and well, XBox RPGs have been crap and I don't know if I can hold out for Elder Scrolls 4 (esp. if it bombs)

I might go grab one of those slim PS2s and get me some FFX and DQVIII...but then when would I have time for CS?

Man I wish they would make an extension to FFVII...that was by far my fav. RPG to date, along with FF3 and FF2...oh and I guess Morrowind..

"No I'm not a nerd...I just prefer these games to books" <still a nerd!

DQVIII is hard!!!!!!

Got my clock cleaned durring like the 3rd random monster spawn in the first dungeon!!

I dont like the fact that you have to visit a town AND stay at the inn in order to regain HP and MP without using items. Also, you dont get a full health and MP bar when you lvl, you just get the +# increase in max HP and MP...again,you'd have to use items or an Inn visit to go up to max again.

Also, the monsters almost seem to have a random attack turn order. You select what you want to do, then 3 monsters could possibly attack you between when you said "fight" and when you actually fight. Doesn't make much sense for a "turn" based game when you have to wait after selecting an action and the fulfillment of that action. So I need to heal, my turn comes up, I select healing herb, then 5 monsters attacks you before you can heal, then you die....and at this point there is no res spell or item like in FF. And there is no way to tell what the turn order is. Not cool, not cool at all, I'm almost tempted to put it down just for this reason.

You're characters personal inventories are small and identical items like healing herbs or potions do not stack, but in the "communal" bag, which you can't access durring combat, those items do stack.

If there is one solitary thing that would make this game much much easier would be a HP and MP stroll where you regain both by walking or just start with full HP and MP at the beginning of every battle.

• 2 weeks later...

Mo, If you still have SNES or a SNES emulator, I suggest getting Crono Trigger, Secrets of Mana and Secrets of Evermore. If you only got PS or PS2 then get Final Fantasy Anthology which contains FF6 <- best FF and Crono Trigger!

DO NOT GET RADIATA STORIES! Really lame game!

Most stuff produced by squaresoft was awesome!

A cheap and effective way to cure the RPG addiction!

Edited by Chamberlain

Okay, I've put about 27+ hours into this game and I'm warming up to it. You play about 10-15 hours with only 2 members in your party and as I mentioned above it is ridiculously tough. However, just grinding gets actually pretty easy as you level up relatively fast.

Getting the 3rd party member and this get a bit easier. You can takle harder monsters which give more xp and more money so staying at Inn's dont bother me as much (I can afford it).

Once your main character levels up to say lvl 14 or so he gets the ability Zoom and Evac. Evac teleports you out of the dungeon you are in and Zoom will teleport you to any place you have previously visited. Very handy for when your quest is done and you are drastically low on MP (only limiting factor in how far you can travel...MP run out...no more healing spells).

I'm warming up to the idea of no MP or HP stroll, but I'd like a option to rest outside at night with a chance to get attacked. Still, it adds a bit of strategy to the game where if you're going for an objective you're more apt to either intimidate (scare off monsters) or flee instead of hashing out every random battle which eats away at your MP and HP. This way you're more saved up for the usual boss battle at the end of said dungeon.

The stats are much reduced in scale compared to say FF where you can max your character at 9999 hit points in FF...you might be able to get to 500 in DQVIII. So damage you deal is proportional...I'm at lvl 18-19 and I'm doing between 40-60 damage without psyc'ing up...haven't tested a full psych up yet.

It's cool tho that at full phych up you main character looks like Goku Sayen style...I had to laugh at the similarity but I always loved that look...just something that says dont mess with me an mah spiked hair.

Moving on, after you get the 3rd member of the party you meet and obtain your 4th rather quickly in comparison which is the full party. So all 4 party members are on screen without haveing to worry about leveling up a huge number of extra members (say 7 for FFX). I like this.

At some point before you get your 3rd party member you get the alchemy pot which you can put old items, random items, etc together to make better items (think the cube thing in Diablo II) but it takes time to make it. You can find patial recepies, ie nails + "something sharp" = "something handy for theivs" all over the place on bookshelves.

I'll just say that the storyline is very linear with so far very few side quests or mini games. I'm 1/2 way through the storyline and I've picked up items that are usable in sidequests but I've yet to meet the instigators for them.

Graphics are still very nice although the terain is kinda baren and small (probably so the PS2 can cope).

I do have to say that the difficult of this game is something that is missing from the other RPG's I've played. Usually its a given that you can beat any monster they throw at you with relative ease and the only time you feel challanged or threatened is durring a boss fight, not so with this game. There are some nast random monster combinations at every level that can whipe you out very easily...like monsters that call in backup monsters who's casts full heals on his buddy...meanwhile the other one goes back to casting group spells that takes way about 1/3 your HP's in one stroke....very tough. Also, most of the FF RPGs only put 3 monters against the party at a time...where in DQVIII you can face up to 8 monsters at a time. If you get the wrong combination of critters and they get first strike, you might was well just flee for your first action cause at least one of your party members is gonna croak before you get a shot in.

I like the challange if I'm not worried about spending my entire gold reserves on resurections and Inn stays instead of equipment.

Second opinion score: 8.5

Edited by Brillow_Head

Wow Brillow, sounds like your describing some of the older RPG's like

the original FF or Dragon warrior series. Fantastic games. In terms of

being worried of using up all your gold, who cares? RPG nowadays

you have more than you'll ever need partway through the game anyways.

This game seems to have you on the edge of your seat, biting your fingernails.

• 1 year later...

Holy Shnighkies! Has it seriously been a year!!!? Why do I remember this coming out last summer? LOL

Anyways, I bought this game with my first PS2 last weekend and have been playing FFX the entire time. So I decided on Saturday to crack DQ8 and see what it was like (didn't really want to mingle my RPGs but I'm kinda overloaded on FF).

This game is absolutely phenomenal! I'm about 10 hours in already and I'm loving it (especially since I grabbed the PS2 component cables...a definite must if you have an HDTV).

This game has officially taken over my life. Apart from the amazing gameplay and great story, the art style is perfect (same guy who responsible for the Dragon Ball series and the upcoming Blue Dragon for the 360). I don't know if you guys will remember but there were these "Dancing Devil" enemies that did this dance that just make me loose it!

I <3 this game!!!!

Wayfarer!!! GET IT!!! Go out get a PS2 just for this...totally worth it! I'll even play with you on vent and MAYBE you can convince me to start playing that MMORPG you're always talking about...

I put in over 100 hrs on DQ8 and I'm still not done. After you beat the end boss it then opens up a sidequest when your saved game puts you back to before you defeat the boss and now you can go to a new dungeon. It's hard hard hard hard hard. But the rewards are really nice.

After you do this dungeon...and I started it at 70 hrs and I'm still not done with it, then you can go through the end boss again and get a new ending!!!

I love this game. Third opinion 9.2