Stupid μATX questions

Okay, stupid μATX questions:

1) Will a μATX board fit into my existing ATX case? New ATX cases?

2) Is μATX the next-generation board, which is intending to replace ATX on the desktop, or is it simply a parallel development line for smaller form-factor machines where ATX boxes wouldn't be acceptable?

3) I know features vary by motherboard, but by and large, are there performance issues in buying μATX boards when compared to ATX boards with similar features? Speed? Heat? It seems the hot components will be closer together, does the board add problems of its own?

4) Would it be fair to say the only difference between a μATX board and a similar ATX board is that the ATX board has a few more PCI slots?

5) I know this could be solved with a simple Googling, but are there Crossfire / SLI boards in the μATX format?

More stupid questions as I come up with them, I'm sure.

GC Alumni
(edited)

2) Is μATX the next-generation board, which is intending to replace ATX on the desktop, or is it simply a parallel development line for smaller form-factor machines where ATX boxes wouldn't be acceptable?

the latter

4) Would it be fair to say the only difference between a μATX board and a similar ATX board is that the ATX board has a few more PCI slots?

probably

Edited by mookie