First motorcycle?

Rashad

ok, I havent been settled in for a while, not settled in at all actually, only been there 2 weeks and Im still unpacking.

So I come across an add for a 2002 Yamaha YZF 600. for only $3500. I go look at it, the dude actually lets me drive it down the street and back.. I was so close to buying it, but backed out. I really don't want any more payments over my head right now. I have $1,200 and im saving every penny until I can afford one.

The YZF was sooo sweet, goose it enough and the front end would raise up on ya. talk about fast!

General hit all the main points I would state. But let me share my experiences with you. 1. I started on a CBR F3 (that is a 600), and would not recommend it to anyone ever. If you go rockets, go smaller, the 250 or 500 are great learner bikes. DO NOT start on a 600 sport bike. I don't care how level headed or responsible you are. Situations on the street cause many different reactions... one could be cracking the throttle wide open to get out of the way... but then that situation leads to another... braking hard, manouvering the bike at high speeds, quick turns... all that good stuff. Learn throttle control on a smaller bike or a street bike. If you go street bike (harleys, or any other non rocket like the shadow) then the 600s have less horses, and slower throttle response, so wouldn't be as bad.

TAKE THE MSF!!!!

BUY GREAT GEAR. Don't go cheap here... I can attest seeing my girlfriend crash at 110 miles per hour on a race track that the right gear does save a person's life... she flipped end over end and the bike landed on top of her TWICE... and she lived to tell the tale, and still rides the track.

I have also ordered from New Enough, and they have great deals, and are indeed awesome to work with.

I also ride the track regularly throughout the summer. The race track is a great place to learn, but make no mistake, people are out there to go fast too... accidents happen there just like anywhere else. Average track day in teh mid west is about 165.00 for one day... double that for a weekend.

Check out nesba.com, sportbiketracktime.com, or privatetracktime.com... I've ridden with all three... STT (sportbike track time) is the best for starting out. I would also recommend going to a track day to observe what it is before you sign up for one...

Take things slow, learn all you can from anyone who rides.

And seeing as you are right down the street from me... i can help out finding you a bike... and answer any other questions you have... I live in Johnson Creek. Throw me a PM if you would like.

ok, I havent been settled in for a while, not settled in at all actually, only been there 2 weeks and Im still unpacking.

So I come across an add for a 2002 Yamaha YZF 600. for only $3500. I go look at it, the dude actually lets me drive it down the street and back.. I was so close to buying it, but backed out. I really don't want any more payments over my head right now. I have $1,200 and im saving every penny until I can afford one.

The YZF was sooo sweet, goose it enough and the front end would raise up on ya. talk about fast!

the 2002 was still carburated anyhow... you would be better off going with an 03 which is fuel injected. I have a 2000 R6 that is mostly commited to the track... next year I will be picking up a new bike... tossed between a gsxr 750, 600rr and a new R6... so we'll see what happens.

although 3500 for a 2002 in good shape is a nice deal...

• 1 month later...

Did ya get a bike yet?

Everyone always says start off on a 250.....that is good for about a month and then you actually want some go. I have rode a ninja 250....there a little better then the other 250s in power but still not that great. I started on a 83 750 Yamaha(wasnt really mine but I drove it more then the owner).....then I upgraded to what I have now a CBR600F4....an upgrade to smaller engine size? well the 750 was a two cyclinder...my 600 is a four and it has some go! more then what I expected from it.

One thing you need to do is take the MSF course...you can really learn alot from that class....then get ya a bike you feel comfortable sitting on, dont get something that is top heavy or if your short dont start on a bike that you cant touch both feet down.