Vipers still has some problems...

As you can see with the server awol at 1045pm after it was rocking.

Email from da'man indicates there are still issues with the tier one providers, etc.

I yelled, but thats about all I can do.

Sry.

Not us - server back up when its up (hopefully minutes from now)

-Fk

Yeah - the power keeps going out in the room where his servers are at so... he will be moving to a new joint soon

-Fk

Ask him if he wants to keep them at my house, you want the address?

Just finished playing on SCK server and found out this bit of news...

They are fed up with the PL and from what i hear it is not even as bad as ours. So they are moving their server. They are going to stay with Viper but going to move to TX datacenter. Their server should go down and reappear with new IP sometime this week.

By now, we know the line providers are the problem and not Viper. But the problem is the providers aren't going to fix the problem anytime soon so seems like the only solution is different datacenter if Viper can manage that or possibly different company to rent from.

GC Board Member

Yep - I was gonna ask SCK about all this too.

I kinda feel bad for Tom - this server hosting business can be absolutely brutal for the niche players.

As far as the datacenters are concerned, small game server companies are small beans with really demanding requirements (What? Packet Loss? Hey, you're connected - what else do you want?) so when things go south it is like pulling teeth to get them to do anything.

Vipers *is* moving to a new provider - doesn't help us in the mean time.

Just as an FYI - there are things...in play...right now regarding our server - more info as things solidify. I know - bit of a tease but...eh...

-Fk

Hope gorg had less p/l than I do cuz you can count me out for this next match. Can't really play on dem or tem til the p/l is stable. :Disappointed_anim: PLus my wireless conx isn't helping much either. hehehe Gonna have to run a lan cable to my room upstairs and do a direct connect to the router prolly this weekend. Good luck with the match and cya guys soon!

GC Board Member

Yeah - Tom @ Vipers just gave me a call

He's outta there on to a new provider - eta in a week or two

The option to relocate to Dallas is on the table if we would like - I'll track down some IP's or y'all can just give SCK server a poke for pings once they get up and running in Dallas

Seems that besides the server host he is with having just awful customer service lately (11 hours to reboot a server...) the problem with the packet loss appears to be hitting UT2K4 disproportionately. We swing lots of UDP packets, and those are the ones getting the droppage. Other Chicago area game server providers are having the same problems but the complaints are mainly from UT folks, not the CS:S or Battlefield guys.

-Fk

The option to relocate to Dallas is on the table if we would like

Dallas versus Chicago? Hmmmm...probably I will get the same level of p/l either way. Too many hops from up north here down to either location.

Then again slowing down the other midwest based people may increase my chances at getting a few more frags....

Flitterkill, if you could please post some IP's to check out if you get the chance that would be great. It would be nice to do some sort of comparison. Thanks!