Counter strike skipping and laggin alot!!!

Ok i was playing CSS last night and everything was going grand intill a friend told me to change my rate. My defualt was "9999" and i changed to to "25000".

When that happened the world went wacky. My choke went super high to 150 and my ping trippled. So i set it back to 9999. But the choke didnt go away. I also tried several different servers.

What i see is that the game runs normal for 2 seconds, then lags for another 3 seconds which looks i'm getting a rubberband effect.

I then updated to the latest version of DX and tried the lastest NGO Nvidia drivers. That did nothing.

I uninstalled and reinstallled Half life and CSS. Still no good.

I had a spare OS i keep as back up to see if my Hardware was the problem. But on the spare OS the game plays just fine.

I'm running Winxp pro with all the updates, on a amd64 3800, 1gb of OCZ ram, and a nvidia 6800 ultra.

I am fresh out of ideas and i dont really want to reinstall Windows just to play CS. Does any one have any ideas how to fix this.

Edited by jcrsantiago

what connection are you on?

Restart the game, type the rate in console again before you join a server. Try 9000 to start: rate 9000

you did NOT make any changes to cl_updaterate or cl_cmdrate right?

type netgraph 3 in console to get a reading of in/out etc

Make sure that for steam, you rt click the steam tray icon, click settings, click the internet tab, and set the internet settings to your connection speed.

what connection are you on?

Restart the game, type the rate in console again before you join a server. Try 9000 to start: rate 9000

you did NOT make any changes to cl_updaterate or cl_cmdrate right?

type netgraph 3 in console to get a reading of in/out etc

Make sure that for steam, you rt click the steam tray icon, click settings, click the internet tab, and set the internet settings to your connection speed.

That worked really well.

grrr valve!!!