What brought you into PC gaming?

Guest ash-

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

The first I remember is the Star Trek game for the TSR-80 and then later Police Quest and King's Quest for the Tandy.

Later when I joined the Navy I got to play Star Craft on his Computer and got hooked every since. I have to say that Duke Nukem was mighty hot as well. Can't forget "Prince of Persia" for the PC back in the day.

I started with an Atari XE (can't remember which, think it was the 65) and a tape drive. http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/8BITS/XE/xesystems.html That got returned to the stored and traded in for a Commodore 128D. Had prolly 200 games for the Commodore. The ones I remember playing hours and hours on were Super Huey, Beach Head I & II, One on One (Dr. J v. Larry Bird I think), and Way of the Exploding Fist (I think that was the name)

Got my first PC in 1992. Opened the case as soon as I got it home, poked around, then loaded up "The 7th Guest" and my cousin Justin and I played it the rest of the night. Next came Myst. The rest have been a blur as there've been a lot.

Of course, I played the Atari, Odyssey (KC Munchkins was great), Colecovision, Segas stuff, and all the Nintendo varieties. Also have had both playstations. Never have played an Xbox tho.

Then, in college, Lunk called me about a game called Team Fortress Classic, and then later about a beta of Counterstrike. Think those were my first real "online" games.

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
I started with an Atari XE (can't remember which, think it was the 65) and a tape drive. http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/8BITS/XE/xesystems.html That got returned to the stored and traded in for a Commodore 128D. Had prolly 200 games for the Commodore. The ones I remember playing hours and hours on were Super Huey, Beach Head I & II, One on One (Dr. J v. Larry Bird I think), and Way of the Exploding Fist (I think that was the name)

Got my first PC in 1992. Opened the case as soon as I got it home, poked around, then loaded up "The 7th Guest" and my cousin Justin and I played it the rest of the night. Next came Myst. The rest have been a blur as there've been a lot.

Of course, I played the Atari, Odyssey (KC Munchkins was great), Colecovision, Segas stuff, and all the Nintendo varieties. Also have had both playstations. Never have played an Xbox tho.

Then, in college, Lunk called me about a game called Team Fortress Classic, and then later about a beta of Counterstrike. Think those were my first real "online" games.

Ahhhh I remember the glory days of TFC. What servers did you play at? I used to play at Jigglypuffs 24/7 2fort (which is still up), MILSPEC, and a bunch of other great servers I can't remember at the moment.

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
I remember years ago playing on a jigglypuff server playing TFC. Wow I miss them days.......

yea :(. I had so many great games of TFC. I kind of wish CS never became as popular as it did so TFC could rule the world but I guess we will have to wait until TF2.

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
I can't wait for that! Loved hunted maps!

there's always fortress forever in the meantime: http://www.fortress-forever.com/

rumour has it that Valve is disguising FF as the real TF2... dunno if i believe that or not but the game looks like it's A++ so far!

First computer: Windows 95 model

I started off with a computer when I was 5, didn't play much besides rollercoaster tycoon, and other small games until later, I played nintendo all the time when I was little up till about five years a go when I got my first taste of EQ. Then after I quit I played UT, WCIII (and expansion), all the *by then* old games, AoE series, etc. up to CSS and UT2k4. Of course I just got CSS last August :(

I took the first real steps (after the "Tandy 3000/dot matrix printer" disaster of much earlier, with a Packard-Bell Pentium 60mhz running Windows 3.11. That computer lasted for 5 years, and held up well against Pentium 133 and 166 computers and Windows 95

What roped me in was Doom, which we would laughingly try to play over a 14.4 modem connection. The friend who first showed me Doom II (on a '386SX) also got me addicted to Bulletin Boards, with all those door games like the ever famous Legend of the Red Dragon, or that one game I can't remember the name of, where you and your spaceship trade with and conquer planets, competing against others doing the same. Trade Wars? I can't remember.

The ANSI art, the RipScript, the eternal quest to free up more conventional memory without crashing the computer, and trying newer and different AT strings for one's modem. The days when DOS was king, and a 1.44 megabyte floppy was a lot of portable storage. "Multimedia" and the CD-ROM drive were new things (and had to be hooked up through one's sound card). All those PWads and IWads for Doom. YakWorld, I remember you well. The days when you set a bunch of zipped files for download via Z-Modem overnight, while you went to bed after having conquered three new worlds for your interstellar empire, chatted with friends, and posted on forums at your favorite BBS hangout.

Those were the days.

Edited by Goofus Maximus