Any Mountain Bikers?

Guest Dude-

Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guests

Umm, any Mountain Bikers in the house?

I didnt take the time to look for a similar thread, I assume most mountain bikers dont play CounterStrike and vice versa. However I do!

Semi-professional downhill/dual slalom/mountain cross racer. Ride for Ahrens Bicycles, Calmar Bikeshop, and Lagunitas Brewing Company.

Bikes:

Specialized Demo 9

Specialized Big Hit 2006

Ahrens GateSlammer hardtail

oooo finally another biker!

been riding for about 4 years now. I have an 03 norco Fluid as my trail bike and i just finished building my Cannondale Chase 2 for street/dj... the thing owns. Next bike will definalty be a DH bike.

Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guests
oooo finally another biker!

been riding for about 4 years now. I have an 03 norco Fluid as my trail bike and i just finished building my Cannondale Chase 2 for street/dj... the thing owns. Next bike will definalty be a DH bike.

LOL! I know one other mountain biker who "plays" CS and he just played for the first time in 2 years. Otherwise Ive never met someone else who did both.

I just got my Fox DHX 5.0 for my Big Hit. Ive been running the stock Vanilla R for awhile and its not to hot. I got the Big Hit to replace my Demo 9. Right now, built up with a Boxxer World Cup, light DT 5.1 wheels, SRAM XO, Juicy 5s, carbon bars, and Kevlar tires...Im at 35 pounds.

Its pretty insane. I never thought it possible to have an 8" travel front and rear DH bike at 35 pounds. My Demo 9 weighed 44 pounds and even when I did the same build kit as this, it only got to 39 pounds.

used to be an avid biker, no professional but leisure. Didn't have any special bike but i rode it like the pro's. I'm gonna get back into it now that i have more time on my hands. Gotta save some money up for a bike ;). There's a really nice new cannondale out there my friend works in a bike shop, he says it's a good entrance bike. It's not cheap, not expensive, it's just right!

I used to ride a lot of DH single track when I was living in Colorado Springs, but now that I am in the middle of the flatland I had to put some street slicks on it (got Schwalbe Big Apples - not bad, actually). I don't have a super fancy bike (Specialized Rockhopper), but I've customized it a bunch. I actually just put a new Shimano crankset on it last week. All we ride is the city, the lake shore trail, and in the forest preserves now.

I haven't weighed it...I'm kinda curious now...

I miss the DH in Colorado... :(

Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guests

Mmmm, Colorado...droool. The NORBA National Finals are in Colorado Springs this year. Ill be out there 2nd week of August. Should be an awesome course.

And hey, in my book, anyone who gets on dirt with a bicycle rocks. Dont worry, no "high and mighty" complex here. I started out with a $300 Schwinn that I put $400 into before I read enough magazines to know i needed an actual mountain bike. In my opinion, if you can spend $600 on a bike your totally set. $600 can get you a bike that is strong enough to withstand moderate trails, light enough to atleast not be a tank, and work well enough for the person to really really enjoy themselves. Far more then on a $450 bike even.

However, the absolute shop favorite at my shop for an entry level mountain biker, is the Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc. We sell it for $840. Its a lot of money for most people, however...the value is amazing. First off, the bike weighs 2 lbs less then the best competition in its class, putting it 27-28lbs. It has a beefy (32mm stanchions, the slider thingies) 4" travel Rock Shox air fork with lockout and rebound adjustments, a Shimano Deore/LX partsmix with some strong Sun/Ringle wheels, and kevlar/folding tires (which is rare at this price range).

Even though I own bikes that cost more then many peoples cars and I have the money to get another expensive bike, Im actually going to buy one of these bikes and not really even upgrade anything. My little sales blurb, just cause Im honestly impressed with the product. Im of course a little partial to Specialized as well, but only because they make a great bike.

Yeah, I miss it. I'd love to move back there someday. It's funny, my buddy and I used to go and burn 5000 calories doing some crazy 27 mile single track, then afterwards pig out at Sonic and ingest about 7000 calories worth of food...

Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guests
(edited)
Yeah, I miss it. I'd love to move back there someday. It's funny, my buddy and I used to go and burn 5000 calories doing some crazy 27 mile single track, then afterwards pig out at Sonic and ingest about 7000 calories worth of food...

Food will never, ever, ever taste as good as it does after a knarly ride. A burrito that normally is wonderful, becomes holy after 30+ miles of bike abuse. I can literally be stoked about anything from McDonalds to something as simple as Macaroni, but give me something I already like and its like God has shined down upon my plate and blessed it.

Here are some quick pics.

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

Edited by Dude-

• 2 weeks later...

dude, the burrito myth is so true. i used to ride around lake tahoe when i was living there. somehow riding around the bay area just isn't the same.

btw, i was spoiled up at the lake. we lived solely on the bro barter system. i'd tune skis/boards during the winter, they'd fix my bike during the summer. a tuneless season later and i'm hating the shift during a climb. any good web guides you can point me at for basic bike care?

Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guests
dude, the burrito myth is so true. i used to ride around lake tahoe when i was living there. somehow riding around the bay area just isn't the same.

btw, i was spoiled up at the lake. we lived solely on the bro barter system. i'd tune skis/boards during the winter, they'd fix my bike during the summer. a tuneless season later and i'm hating the shift during a climb. any good web guides you can point me at for basic bike care?

I dont know a super great one offhand. But http://www.bikewebsite.com/repair-bike-index.htm has a good bit of stuff. Bad shifting can stem from an unlubed chain, stretched out and loose cable, incorrect high/low settings, and/or a bend derailleur or derailleur hanger or the front derailleur may be tweaked. You should have a barrel adjuster on the derailleur and the shifter. These tighten and loosen the pull of the cable. If you look at the derailleur from the back of the bike, you will see how the chain goes from the cassette (the thing with all the teeth) to the derailleur. If the derailleur is off a few millimeters, turn the barrel adjuster appropriatly.

Now for a little eye candy! Got the new front fork finally. Rock Shox Boxxer World Cup. Best downhill fork made, with air spring, adjustable high/low speed compression, rebound, etc etc.

picture.JPG

picture.JPG